How to connect DVI-D and DVI-I Dual Monitors?

Holymiky 22:41 26 Feb 14

Hi all,

I have had quite a bit of experience with Dual Monitors but i wanted to ask everyone this.

I have a new computer which has 2 DVI slots from the graphics card DVI-D and DVI-I.

My 2 current monitors are a generic PC Monitor and a HD TV. I want to ask what cables i would need to buy to make these work with my new computer as i have tried various cables and adapters and usually only one monitor works no matter what way i switch things around.

I was wondering if i would need to buy a new monitor or is there a way to connect them without buying a new monitor?

Thanks in advance.

Woolwell 12:09 27 Feb 14

The graphics card is?

Holymiky 12:25 27 Feb 14

1GB EVGA GTX650Ti SSC

Woolwell 12:31 27 Feb 14

I assume that you are using the Nvidia Control Panel.

What connection does the TV have?

Holymiky 12:53 27 Feb 14

The TV has a female VGA slot.

Woolwell 12:58 27 Feb 14

You need to make sure that you have a DVI-I cable and use that and the DVI-I to the VGA input. This may help How to tell cables apart

Holymiky 15:27 27 Feb 14

I'm pretty sure that I have tried that, it's just the DVI-D that doesn't seem to work I think.

Holymiky 20:00 27 Feb 14

What do you mean by the top connection?

Ian in Northampton 20:27 27 Feb 14

I doubt this helps, but you never know. I was working on a similar problem on my son's PC. No matter what I did, one of the screens stubbornly remained black. It was only after a long while (for some reason, I moved the cursor/arrow to the black screen) that I realised that he'd set the wallpaper/desktop on that screen to - er, solid black...

Holymiky 22:57 27 Feb 14

I did check everything Ian so i don't think that is the case.

I have tried some different adapters and cables etc and i can't seem to get it to work.

Secret-Squirrel 09:42 28 Feb 14

Holymiky, which ports does your "generic PC Monitor" have?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos