How to configure Window Media Player?

Diemmess 15:41 25 Nov 03

Have not bothered with any audio stuff on present computer, interest lies in graphics, publishing local material and digital photography etc.

Win98SE 512MB Duron 1200.

Now, asked to open what turned out to be AVI files, I realise I cannot even play an audio CD as I have in the past.

Quicktime has disappeared but Real Player, Windows Media Player and Aol Media Player and Winamp can all be made to play tracks.

Aol MP will only work when Aol is running though sound is good and stable. But Real Player seems useless, and I expect to remove it (Can't remember how I acquired it)

W.M.P. and Winamp can both be made to play, but at rapid speed (sound like woody woodpecker), and both become distorted until I press Pause and Play buttons.
Earlier attempts to run AVI files give a micro burst of high speed sound and no sign of a picture.

Request to Agony Aunts out there "What can I do"

MidgetMan 17:29 25 Nov 03

sounds like all the differant players are trying to compete for the right to play the files and thus causing problems, I have found in the past that if quicktime and media player are installed then media player crashes!, in media player go into files and set as default player for all files (under file types). this should (touch wood) sort it out. If not, best bet is to remove real player, winamp etc (including registery entrys- use reg clean or similar) download jet audio and set that as default player, it will play all files including audio and dvd if you tell it to.
Also make sure that you have got the latest version ofr media player including all the codacs.

Hope this helps

MidgetMan 17:31 25 Nov 03

sorry, link for jet audio click here
also burns cds etc, very niffy and a small download as well. the paid for version will also rip mp3's

Stuartli 17:41 25 Nov 03

I use QuickTime, RealOne and Windows Media Player9 - there are no clashes with QT and WMP.

RealOne is a swine, taking over everything if not configured properly and ensuring it is not the default.

Windows Media Player9 will play DVDs as well as CDs, but a simple CD player can be found in Irfanview, which is also an excellent and very versatile picture viewer...:-)

If you stick with Windows Media Player, ensure that you have version 9 and that you download the proper Win98 version as there are several available.

Diemmess 18:47 25 Nov 03

No time to play tonight but will post back tomorrow when I have had a go.

Incidentally, like MidgetMan suggests I will comb out the registry, because although I have already ditched RealPlayer and Winamp, the Registry will always hang on to no end of unhelpful residues.

Diemmess 17:33 27 Nov 03

In Short: .....Have downloaded huge WMP v.9 for Win98 etc.

Still the same fault. The Player shows Connecting > and then very very briefly - "Error downloading MJPG codec". The Audio plays at about 5X correct speed and video never wakes up.

Have searched for MJPG codec in vain, trying Google and M$ download site.....WMP has no reference that I can find to Codec at all, or at least has no suggestion on how to acquire or list them.

When installing the latest version from the download I accepted all the possible (default) options on file types which included AVI.

Tick Tock 19:54 27 Nov 03

jet audio is 17mb download not small if on
dialup.

gold 47 20:09 27 Nov 03

Your using a lot of Ram for windows 98 it's a wonder your not getting computer lock ups my older
computer uses a Duron 1.3 W98 but locks up with 500mb ok 314mb.

cycoze 22:03 27 Nov 03

Have you tried re-installing the sound card drivers ?

cycoze 23:45 27 Nov 03

click here and click on playback issues , mentions MJPG codec , Q`s 5/9/10 , 5 has a link to download codecs.

Same page suggests DX upgrade.

cycoze 14:31 28 Nov 03

What sound card have you got , or is it onboard , what Motherboard ?

I had a look at several sites , many mention problems caused by having `digital playback` checked/unchecked , that can be on the cd drive properties and also in WMP.

Have you got windows audio compression installed ? (check via add/remove programs windows) same applies for video compression.

I asked had you tried re-installing your sound card drivers , might be worthwhile seeing if there is a newer version to download.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5