how to configure ports in ICS

cyberpharmacist 22:00 23 Jul 03

Hi all,

I am trying to configure internet connection sharing setting as my internal home network cannot be connected to the external in the sense of things like pc anywhere or netmeeting or remote assistance.

i have read the microsoft KB on this link:click here;en-us;q158623
but the setting requires setting on remote server port number which the above article doesn't give any information on.

can any one give me any information on this matter please.

thanks.

Gaz 25 22:06 23 Jul 03

Is your firewall allowing this?

cyberpharmacist 22:26 23 Jul 03

i don't have any firewall installed on that machine.

ok, a little about my current setup. I am running a win2k pro as a server which is directly connect to BTopenworld via an ADSL line. however, i can't connect to the outside world for any application using real IP address connection. I have been told by changing the settings on the ICS setting, i can open up the ports to allow this to happen. My other computers are connected to the internet via the win2k machine on an internal network via a netgear hub (nothing fancy) and on wireless LAN via an access point connected to the hub.

hope you can help.

Śamurai Ĵack ₪₪ 22:35 23 Jul 03

OS on the gateway.

jazzypop 22:58 23 Jul 03
  cyberpharmacist 23:15 23 Jul 03

hi jazzypop,

thanks for your reply. however, how do i know what remote server port number should i use? and how do i know what remote port number is it for other applications that i may want to use?

Gaz 25 23:18 23 Jul 03

All?

cyberpharmacist 23:24 23 Jul 03

hahahhahaha, well, knowing how to get netmeeting, video conferencing and remote assistance to work is a good start.

jazzypop 01:12 24 Jul 03

click here for netmeeting

click here's_remote_assistance.htm for remote assistance

click here for a generic list of video conferencing apps, and the ports that they use.

click here for Windows firewall settings.

If you go to Google and type 'open ports ics' folowed by netmeeting, video conferencing or remote assistance, you will find all the above links and a lot more besides.

Good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…