How to clone laptop to TV? Can only extend desktop

kpmatthews 15:37 03 Apr 07

hi, i have a laptop connected to my tv via VGA and i would like to clone the image from the laptop onto the tv instead of extending the desktop.
laptop has ATI graphics (32mb) but in the display -> advanced -> ATI options there is no option to clone.

Should i be able to clone a desktop using vga or do i need a tv cable (s-video, rgb, etc) which my laptop doesn't have.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:38 03 Apr 07

"i have a laptop connected to my tv via VGA"

does your TV accept VGA inputs? I've never hrad of one that does.

If you do not have Svideo or rgb out on the laptop then your wasting your time nless you are n electronics wizz and want t go to a great deal of trouble. click here

De Marcus™ 16:47 03 Apr 07

A lot of LCD / plasma tv's come with VGA for the very purpose of connecting a laptop / device of some kind.

Ignoring your ATI control panel go to an empty part of the desktop, right click and select properties. Fumble through the tabs at the top and you'll find the option to clone your display.

Woolwell 16:48 03 Apr 07

Laptops often use a function key for cloning.

Quiet Life 16:52 03 Apr 07

If your graphics card supports cloning then no problem using VGA. With just 32mb it must be pretty old but I still think you should be able to clone. A lot of the LCD TVs have VGA entry now and can show text quite clearly.
Below is the instructions from my ATI X1300 series.

From the Tree View pane, click Displays Manager.
Click and drag the display device icon in Attached displays currently disabled to the empty box to the right of the Main box.
Click Clone Main with [display device] in the pop-up menu.
If the secondary display is enabled:

Right click the display device icon in Desktop 2 when in Extended mode, Rightmost when in Stretch Horizontal mode, or Lower in Stretch Vertical mode.
Click Clone Main with [display device].
Click Yes to the Displays Manager Notification dialog.
Note: Display device can be CRT, DFP, TV, or HDTV

kpmatthews 15:28 10 Apr 07

hi, thanks for all your responses. the function key worked. Fn + 10 let me cycle through cloning options. thanks, kristian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now