How to clear hard drive ready for new OS

Ridleyrider 16:00 24 Feb 04

I am convinced I have a virus (see my earlier thread).

I need to buy new OS as I don't have the discs.

How do I clear my hard drive (format?) ready for the new OS?

Diodorus Siculus 16:05 24 Feb 04

What OS are you going for?

If XP, then you can boot with the OS CD and format the disk that way.

You can also get a boot disk from click here and use it to format.

Be sure to back up all your files etc.

Finally, it is not always necessary to format - you can do a reinstall over the current setup if necessary.

Ridleyrider 16:08 24 Feb 04

I currently have XP Professional. Will XP Home boot over that?

I dont want to back up my files as I cant trace the location fo the Virus so I want to wipe my computer clean and start again.

Diodorus Siculus 16:11 24 Feb 04

Seems you have XP HE you can boot with the CD and take the option to format the drive.

Best to do a clean install anyway, given your fear of a virus being present.

Ridleyrider 16:14 24 Feb 04

I have never clean a hard drive before so what do I need to do to make sure the virus is gone?

If I go and by the new OS (Windows XP), do I need to manually delete the entire contents of the C drive or will the new OS do that for me?

How easy is it to install an OS for a beginner?

Diodorus Siculus 16:17 24 Feb 04

To make sure the virus is gone, get a virus checker - either AVG or Avast are available as free to download and use from the internet.

Booting with the CD in the CD drive will give you the option of deleting everything from the drive before installing the system again.

XP is probably the easiest of all the systems to install.

Diodorus Siculus 16:19 24 Feb 04

By the way, unless the virus is in the boot sector of the machine, formatting will get rid of it anyway.

Ridleyrider 16:20 24 Feb 04

I cant use a virus checker at the moment as they wont work.

So, I have to hope the new OS will clear the problem.

I can then download those virus checkers but aren't I vulnerable whilst downloading them?

If you were installing a new OS, what would you download first?

CWSHredder, AdAware, AVG, Spybot etc......

I'd personally put on a firewall - Zone Alarm? so you could keep track of what's trying to get on to your system, then a decent AntiVirus.

961 17:10 24 Feb 04

Can't find earlier thread, but the first thing to do is find out if there is a virus

The April 2004 issue of PCAdvisor has a virus checker and Zone Alarm on the cover disk

Install these, update the virus checker and then find the virus and deal with it.

Then install spybot search and destroy (also on the disk) update it and run that

The post the results back here

I don't think Windows XP home will go over xp professional but others can advise

If you are going to buy xp buy some hardware so that you can get a full oem edition

matthew-293741 17:47 24 Feb 04

Ridley

I have had the samre problem over the past week...as you say, you cant run a virus scan in safe mode (not with the software you show)...neither could i....so (and i have a copy of XP home)...all i did was pop the disc in the drive and follow the onscreen instructions....it formatted for me...completely wiped all my old data (which was good as when i got my puta back and run AVG..it said i had NINE viruses (which have now gone)...i have to say it was a bit of a shock when you booted up for the first time since clean install and all you see are the green hills and your recycle bin icon!!...still everything is fine...if you have anything you desperately need to keep i would burn to disc...which you CAN do in safe mode (well i did with nero anyhow)..but since you dont know the location of the virus...to be on the safeside...get rid of the lot...and save what you want to cd. Takes about 1 and half hours.....that was for a 60gb disc to be cleared and formatted and reinstalled to. You will need your drivers for your hardware (modems etc) and also if you use On board sound you will need your MOBO disc...but once you get on the net if you dont have em you can d/l!!...hope this puts your mind at rest!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…