How to clear Compress Old Files

Kui Jai 14:01 23 Jan 08

The Windows Disk Cleanup cannot clear the Compress Old Files. How do I access these compress old files, if at all possible, to clear/delete them manually?

Jak_1 14:09 23 Jan 08

Try doing it in safe mode. Tap the F8 repearedly key at the bootup screen and then navigate to safe mode.

RobCharles1981 14:28 23 Jan 08

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type regedit in the Open box, and then press ENTER.
3. Locate, and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches
4. On the File menu, click Export, and then click Desktop, type VolumeCaches in the File name box, and then click Save.

Note This step creates a backup of the VolumeCaches registry key. If you experience any problems after you complete the steps that are listed in this procedure, you can use this backup to restore the VolumeCaches key to its original state. To restore the key, double-click the VolumeCaches.reg file on your desktop, and then click Yes.
5. Expand the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Volume Caches
6. Delete the Compress old files registry key.
7. Quit Registry Editor.

Kui Jai 14:47 23 Jan 08

Dear Rob_25_Wales
Is it alright if I write to you via email?
Kui Jai

Technotiger 15:53 23 Jan 08

Several working solutions here ...

click here

Forum Editor 17:46 23 Jan 08

via email, unless you have something confidential to discuss. The whole idea of the forum is that everyone can see the solutions to problems.

Kui Jai 20:17 23 Jan 08

Dear Rob_25-Wales
Many thanks for the instructions. I was at first wary when you suggested to create a backup of the VolumeCaches. Luckily there was no problem but I am still keeping this backup file on the desktop just as well. The compress old file has disappeared and the computer is running faster than before. Thank you again for your kind assistance. But will the computer create another compress old file in due course?
Kui Jai

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant