How to check/change router setup

Florio 10:58 03 Apr 08

Several months ago, when I first got my new laptop, I initially had problems setting up the wireless connection, and so I got a technician in (from the store where I bought the computer) to help me.
Everything is now working fine, but I was wondering what I would have to do in the (not unlikely!!) event that I have to do a complete reinstall, as I don't know exactly how this technician configured the router (and I'd have to pay him to come back!).
The router is a Netgear WGR614; I think the technician password protected the connection, but I can no doubt remember the passoword.
Is there a simple way to check/change the initial setup?

woodchip 11:02 03 Apr 08

Not if it's got a Password. You would have to reset the router with a paper clip through the little hole at the back of the router

iscanut2 11:11 03 Apr 08

Try this.
In your browser ( IE, Firefox or whatever) type in the address 192.168.0.1 and see if this displays your router settings ( no need to enter http or click here the number ). If it asks for a password try a default such as Admin for name and password for the password.

iscanut2 11:14 03 Apr 08

Ignore the "click here" in my posting. It shows this because i typed the 3 w's !

MAJ 11:18 03 Apr 08

".....but I can no doubt remember the passoword."

Do you mean, you can, or, you cannot, remember the password, I'm assuming you mean your wireless security password, rather than your router's password?

Most routers have an option to backup the settings, my router is a Linksys, and the backup option is in the Admin section, check to see if your router has a similar option. If it has, then back up the settings to somewhere safe that isn't going to be wiped when /if you reinstall.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…