How to check what battery the hard drive needs

Little Flower 10:28 07 Oct 06

I work in a charity run preschool & we've been given 2 computers for the children to use & for the staff to use for typing the notices for parents, letters etc that we need. We're not on the internet.

1 is running Windows XP & every time we turn it on we need to reset the date & time - annoying & time consuming. I think the battery is run down so causing this - but that's the extent of my knowledge about it.

Can we change the battery or are we going to have to live with this?
How do we find out what sort we need?
Where would we buy a replacement battery?
(And the big 1!) How would we change the battery?

(Something tells me it's not a matter of flipping over the hard drive, open the battery compartment & pop in 2 new AAA batteries...)

VoG II 10:31 07 Oct 06
  sean-278262 10:35 07 Oct 06

Can we change the battery or are we going to have to live with this?
-Yes
How do we find out what sort we need?
CR2032
Where would we buy a replacement battery?
I have seen them at stationers, dabs.com, highstreet stores and camera shops like jessops.
"(And the big 1!) How would we change the battery?"
click here

I find it really entertaining when you come across someone like yourself who provides me with a nice and charming thread at this hour where you seem to have picked up another of the many Mr.Nomers regarding computers. :)

Little Flower 10:46 07 Oct 06

VoG™, the link you sent me to says

".... The layouts of the components differ on different motherboards, so you'll have to consult your motherboard user manual for specifications about the battery and its location...."

Of course, we weren't actually given manuals with the stuf!! That would just have been too easy...

VoG II 10:47 07 Oct 06

Well you are going to have to open the case anyway, so do so and have a look.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:40 07 Oct 06

some pictures of different fittings for batteries CMOS Battery
click here

Little Flower 21:52 07 Oct 06

Thanks everyone. There's plenty here for me to use.

woodchip 22:23 07 Oct 06

All you need to do is take the wall plug out for the computer, go to the back of the computer on the left side edge and look for two screws holding the side on, remove these two screws and slide the side to the back and off. look at the main electronic board inside that as all things plugged into it, you will see a silver battery normally about the size of a one pence piece, this is what you have to remove and fit a new one. MAKE A NOTE of the way it goes in

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac