how to check if my pc is wireless enabled?

nelsonscolumn 11:40 16 Oct 07

Hi all,

Currently have a wired broadband connection. How do I check if my desktop pc (and indeed laptop) are currently set up for wireless, or whether I need to buy the adaptors as well as the wireless router?

And besides the router, and possibly adaptors, is there anything else I need to buy?

Cheers

FreeCell 12:21 16 Oct 07

Go to Control Panel and select Network Connections.

If you have Wireless there will be an entry here for the wireless connection though it may say Disabled.

Rare for a desktop to have wireless, but look for an aerial about 4 inches long coming from the back of the processor box. Or you may have a USB adaptor but I am sure you would know as this is something you would have physically had to do.

Laptop more likely to come with wireless as standard, if it is a more recent model. What make/model is it?

Are you cable of phone line broadband? Need to ensure you get the right type of router. You say you are currently connected by cable , is this by a USB cable to a modem or using network cable (ethernet) to an existing router?

nelsonscolumn 12:32 16 Oct 07

Cheers for quick response.

Seems like my pc isnt wireless-enabled in that case and will therefore need an adaptor.
Connected to the existing router using an ethernet cable.
Not sure about the lap top (not in the house at the moment, so cant check!)

With regards the wireless routers/adaptors. We're with BT broadband. Any particular need to buy BT's equipment? Or can it be any companies compatible product?

I've read that wireless broadband is slower than wired. Any significant difference? Our broadband runs about 3-4mb generally (package is a max of 8mb).

Thanks

FreeCell 12:44 16 Oct 07

No need to buy BT, just they provide technical support for routers they know.

Yes, wired is faster than wireless. Wired ethernet networks run at 1Gig bits per sec max if you have the right network adaptor more typically 100 Meg bits per sec. Wireless on 802.11g runs max 54Meg bits per sec. In practice all speeds a re quite a bit lower but much faster than your broadband connection so you will not notice a significant difference. There is a faster later standard of wireless but unlikely your laptop has this and 802.11g is commonest.

Recommend though when setting up a new wireless router always use a network cable connection then when all is set up go wireless.

nelsonscolumn 15:49 16 Oct 07

Much obliged! Cheers

tullie 15:54 16 Oct 07

Is there really any point in having a wireless desktop,if the routers next to it?I suppose its up to individual preference.I havent noticed any difference between my desktop and laptop as far as speed is concerned.

nelsonscolumn 16:09 16 Oct 07

If the router were next to the desktop, then that'd be a fair point.

As the phone socket is the other side of the room to where we want the pc, and we dont want extension cables covering the room, we're considering wireless.

Strawballs 22:30 16 Oct 07

You will need to connect to router by wire at first just to setup the wireless change the SSID( the name you see when connecting) to something that you will know and setting up the encryption once all this is done then you can unplug the wire and go all wireless. Ca

Strawballs 22:30 16 Oct 07

You will need to connect to router by wire at first just to setup the wireless change the SSID( the name you see when connecting) to something that you will know and setting up the encryption once all this is done then you can unplug the wire and go all wireless. Ca

Strawballs 22:31 16 Oct 07

Can use laptop for this.
Don't know what happened there!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…