how to check ethernet socket

john 14:33 14 Mar 07

I am trying to set up my netgear D834g wireless router to my Dell inspiron 6000 laptop.

In the initial set up I have to connect an ethernet cable to both the router and my laptop, when I switch on the power to the router I should get power light, and also one of the LAN lights should illuminate to confirm connection between router and computer.

I do get p[ower lights but no LAN lights. I have tried using another identical computer and also another ethernet cable, but still the same.

I would like to know firstly if it is possible that the ethernet socket on the computers could be disabled, and secondly is it possible to check if this is the case.
The netgear website is of little help as it only suggests checking for power and firm connections.

Thanks in anticipation of any help or advice.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:06 14 Mar 07

Check in device manager if network adaptor ie enabled

woodchip 15:11 14 Mar 07

Check Device Manager to make sure the Lan is loaded

john 16:00 14 Mar 07

Thanks, I have just sorted it, turns out that my computer needs to be off when the cables are connected, then swithched on.
Doh!

Still can't get the damned thing set up though, will search the archives and possibly start a new post.

uesquebeathus 16:31 14 Mar 07

to make life easy try this product "Network Magic "from here:-

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…