How to change Programs display?

wotbus@ 20:16 08 Jan 06

WinXP. When I click Start>Programs, all my programs are displayed in a vertical stack with a little down arrow at the bottom to scroll on down. Where is the setting to change the display so all the programs are in columns left to right? Thanks.

bremner 20:19 08 Jan 06

Right click the start button and choose properties. Then click Classic Start Menu.

bremner 20:20 08 Jan 06

Sorry - reread your query and this is not the solution to what you have asked.

wotbus@ 20:20 08 Jan 06

I am already using Classic Start Menu and Files!

wotbus@ 20:21 08 Jan 06

ahh - ok ;-)

VoG II 20:38 08 Jan 06

This doesn't answer your query - I don't use the Classic Start Menu.

But if you right click the Start button and select Explore All Users you can create other program folders like Games, Internet, Security, Tools or whatever you want. Then drag the other icons into those start menu folders. This will make the Start menu a lot more compact.

wotbus@ 20:44 08 Jan 06

Hi VoG™. It's not the Start Menu I want to change and I imagine the same alteration setting will be the same for Classic and XP. If I click Start then either Show all programs [XP] or just Programs [Classic], the programs are not shown in columns as I have seen on other PC's but in one vertical column. There must be a setting somewhere to change this IE: Instead of "Show in one column" to "Display in full screen" or something like.

Thalmus 20:47 08 Jan 06

right click the start menu and select proeritea then click the cutomise button. In the boxat the bottom uncheck "scroll programs"

wotbus@ 20:49 08 Jan 06

Ah ha, so that's it. Thanks Thalmus ;-)

wotbus@ 21:00 08 Jan 06

One last hypothetical question: If there are more programs on the list than will fit on the screen does a "scroll bar" {not sure if that's the right name for the elongated button on the far right of the screen which moves the screen display up/down} appear on the bottom so you can move the display left/right?

Thalmus 21:12 08 Jan 06

you mean a scroll bar on the desktop? Then no.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…