How to change ports-easily

xoc 17:22 26 Sep 03

Have Nokia 7650 photo phone. am using bluetooth USB dongle to enable download of photos to my PC, which works fine.
However, when I try to use it the other way- from pc to phone, it don't work.
Have loaded Nokia PC suite, but have not used it properly as can find no port to link it to, and upon reading the readme file, I find in the very last pargraph, that with win98se there is an inability to choose com ports 3&4, and I am advised to reconfigure other hardware attached to these ports, but as they are presently used for PCI devices,I don't want to disable them.
So my query is this. Is there a way to change the ports to which these PCI cards are connected without having to disable them?

R4 19:49 26 Sep 03

What ports are you refering to ?

The serial/Parallel ports can be re-configured in the Device Manager or the Bios, to suit most requirements.

But Most PCI devices are Pnp self configuring.

xoc 22:04 26 Sep 03

Sorry! am talking Com Ports, and thats the problem , as the PCI devices already use the Com ports required by the Nokia Suite.
Can I change even one of the the PCI's to a different com port, without having to disable the PCI device? so that I can allow the Nokia suite to use that Com Port?

R4 17:05 28 Sep 03

You normally have 2 serial Com ports 1 & 2 and one parallel port (lpt1) these are in the hardware and the addresses they use can be altered in the BIOS or Device manager.

The PCI does NOT use these ports normaly, a modem usualy uses Serial port 4 and this is configured in the hardware of the modem.

if you are adding hardware for the Nokia Suite you should be able to configure this to Com 3/4 on installation however if you are pluging the your hardware into an existing port you can choose
default com 1/2 and this should work OK.

If you are using USB you should get the new hardware wizard when you plug in your system. It should use the same port for both input and output from the nokia.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…