How to change owner name in XP?

djtom12 22:45 15 Feb 06

I recently did a fresh install of XP Home on a newly built system. Got to the first boot where Windows asks for your details etc and I had a power failure. When I went to reboot the PC, setup had completed successfully, however the username was 'Owner' (due to not specifying a different one on the initial setup screen). I changed this under user accounts to my name (Tom), although the default folder location (C:\Documents and Settings\YourName) still showed the name as 'Owner'. This is also the case in command prompt, yet the start menu shows 'Tom' as the name.

If I create a new user account, the problem goes, although my settings and some programs are not functional on the new user account. Is there a registry entry or something similar that will change the registered user name from the default?

Many thanks.

gudgulf 22:50 15 Feb 06

This might help click here

djtom12 22:57 15 Feb 06

Looked under there, afraid the value for the RegisteredOwner field is 'Tom'.

beeuuem 23:40 15 Feb 06

Not that I know it will do any better but you could try click here

beynac 09:33 16 Feb 06

I think that the only way to get the name consistently throughout is to set up a new account and delete the old. Change the name of the old one first so that you will be able to call the new one 'Tom'. The downside is that you will have to set up everything afresh on the new account. You shouldn't have to re-install the programs, just create new shortcuts for the start/program menu and the desktop.

It really depends upon whether you think it's worth the bother.

wjrt 11:05 16 Feb 06

click here

from dougknox also

beynac 11:44 16 Feb 06

Changing the name of the 'Registered Owner' in the registry will not change the name of the User in 'Documents and Settings', which is what I think 'djtom12' is trying to do. 'djtom12' - can you confirm please?

igk 12:22 16 Feb 06

bump

djtom12 16:26 16 Feb 06

Beynac - I can confirm that changing registered owner in the registry does not modify the 'Documents and Settings' folder.

Beeuuem and Wjrt - Thanks for the links, unfortunately they didn't solve the issue.

djtom12 22:56 16 Feb 06

Well, I resorted to a reinstall of XP. It wasn't really too much of a hassle, as I'd only installed it first on Sunday, having just built my system. I did try creating another user account beforehand, but this didn't work. It still showed 'Owner' as the name under Documents and Settings and in command prompt. I guess that power failure did more damage than I thought, but at least it's all up and fully operational now!

Thanks for all your help folks.

terryf 02:49 18 Feb 06

To save problems in the future buy a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…