How to change Local Disk from H: to C:

Charlie Babbage 23:19 14 Nov 06

I have just done a reinstall of Win XP Professional which has been successful.

The only problem now is that My Computer under 'Hard Disk' shows 'Local Disk (H:)', not 'Local Disk (C:)'. Under 'Devices with Removable storage' it shows Floppy (A:) and 4 removable disks D: E: F: and G, although only the hard drive is present.

I did have some initial problems on the reinstall and removed the HD. It is possible that I connected it with the wrong cable. Is it possible to change the H: to C: in BIOS and , if so, how? If not, what do I need to do?

TIA

User-312386 23:23 14 Nov 06

Unplug all your other drives

Re-boot the computer and see if that does the trick

If it does, go to start>run and type msconfig

Click the BOOT.INI tab and then click on "check all boot paths"

When done select apply

Now re-connect your other HDD's and that should do it

Stuartli 23:29 14 Nov 06

Go to Control Panel>Computer Management>Disk Management>right click on the drive letter>Change Drive Letter and Paths.

Stuartli 23:31 14 Nov 06

To modify the drive letter click it and then Change and then click the drive letter you wish to use (C) and OK.

Charlie Babbage 23:49 14 Nov 06

Madboy - When I run msconfig the box which appears does not have a tab 'BOOT.INI'. It has tabs labelled 'General', 'System.INI', 'WIN.INI', 'Services' and 'Startup'

Stuartli - I followed your clear instructions but when I try to change the drive letter from H: to C: I get the error message 'Windows cannot modify the drive letter of your system volume or boot volume'

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

ashdav 01:01 15 Nov 06

I'm afraid you can't change the letter of the drive that your operating system has been installed on.
The only way to get around this is to reinstall with ALL your other drives disconnected.
CD/DVD drives can be left connected but you must leave any card readers and external/USB drives disconnected.
When you are given the option to install Windows to drive... make sure it is to drive C after that you can do what you like with regard to drive letters using disk management. (right click on My Computer/Manage/disk management)

WhiteTruckMan 01:05 15 Nov 06

you have a card reader plugged in. If so, I suggest you do the install again after a format but unplug the reader first.

WTM

User-312386 07:48 15 Nov 06

Did you disconnect all drives as advised?

Charlie Babbage 11:23 15 Nov 06

Many thanks for further advice.

How do I find out what other drives are connected and then disconnect them? I know that the machine has a CD/DVD drive and USB ports. So far as I know, it does not have a card reader.

Just thought - do you go to Device Manager, right click on device and then choose to remove?

ventanas 11:28 15 Nov 06

There is only one way to change the boot drive letter in XP, and it's not for the fainthearted.

click here

Good luck

lotvic 13:23 15 Nov 06

You say you have 4 removable disks D: E: F: and G
this will be your card reader. It fits in small bay same as a floppy drive.
Open the pc up and unplug it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…