how to change a colour picture to black and white

carlinglover 11:53 07 Apr 03

i am new to this and need to change a picture i have been sent into black and white.has anybody any ideas (idiots terms pls) on what i need to download to do this or if i have it already on my pc.. i am running xp home on broadband .. thankyou in advance for your help guys

MAJ 12:03 07 Apr 03

Download Irfanview click here if you don't have another graphics package. Open the picture in Irfanview and go to Image > Convert to Greyscale. Other packages will have a similar function, carlinglover.

darkjedimistress 12:05 07 Apr 03

Go into the screen options and reduce the colour like you do on a normal tv? Simple and easy.

Lozzy 12:05 07 Apr 03

Do you have any Photo Imaging software on your PC??

click here for a free trial

darkjedimistress 12:05 07 Apr 03

Been drinking too much coffee this morning, misread quiestion hehe..

Legolas 14:23 07 Apr 03

If you just need to change it for printing purposes you can set your printer to print in B/W only so even although the picture is in colour it will only print in B/W if this is not the reason for wanting to change the picture then totally ignore my post ;-) lol

tango_jd 14:27 07 Apr 03

I use Paint Shop Pro 5 - it's a super free (these days) package that comes on various PC magazine cover disks at the moment. (Computer Shopper etc)

Loading the software enables you to choose whether to default PSP as your imaging software in future (I say yes to this)

THEN, <FILE>,<open> the image file
(assuming it's a recognised format - .jpg, .gif, .bmp etc)

Under one of the options on the top line (Adjust Pic or Adjust Colour from memory) one of the options there is "Greyscale".

The picture is then changed to B&W and you can save it to itself or a new name, and do more adjusting of brightness, contrast etc.

It's a super package with lots of image manipulation possibilities and a handy file browser for whole folders of image files.
Enjoy!

carlinglover 15:31 07 Apr 03

thankyou all for your help i downloaded irfanview and even an idiot like me did it.. thank you again for yet another successful result you are all truely gr8

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…