How can you check the speed of your memory?

Mutant_Llama 22:58 05 Jul 06

Howdy all, just installed 2GB of DDR400 memory (replacing my old 1GB of 266 memory) and wondered if there was a way to check if it is running optimally (at the full 400htz)?

DieSse 23:06 05 Jul 06

Evererest free edition click here is still pretty good for that.

Mutant_Llama 23:12 05 Jul 06

Cheers mate, noticed on boot up that it states dual channel enabled and shows ddr266...

Is their a good reason why I am reporting memory speeds of 266 when the new memory installed is 400htz?

The MoBo supports DDR400 (Abit NF7), spec is:

XP2400+ on Abit NF7 Nforce 2
2GB DDR400 memory (reporting DDR266)

DieSse 23:19 05 Jul 06

Read your manual as to whether DDR400 is supported in dual-channel working.

DieSse 23:22 05 Jul 06

click here

Says that only Version2 motherboards support DDR400.

Stuartli 23:22 05 Jul 06

My DDR400 memory is reported as PC3200 (200MHz) and the correct Corsair memory version - I have assumed until now that as it is DDR you double the 200Mhz figure.

However this would not be applicable in your case, although the fact that you had "old" 266Mhz memory could mean your motherboard might not support up to 400Mhz.

The motherboard manual should make it clear; however, on some motherboards, memory has to be installed in certain slots (one slot colour is purple IIRC).

DieSse 23:24 05 Jul 06

Also check your BIOS settings for RAM speed settings -

And - you did take out the old 266 RAM? - otherwise this will slow down the new RAM.

Mutant_Llama 23:37 05 Jul 06

The MoBo I purchased stated that it supports DDR400 memory, and I bought the memory from Crucial using their memory to MoBo recommend option.

I totally gutted my PC of the 2 * 512MB sticks and replaced them with 2 * 1GB sticks (purchased from Crucial).

Not sure on how to check the BIOS for RAM speed settings though?

Stuartli 23:50 05 Jul 06

Dop you have the motherboard manual?

If not, download it from the manufacturer's website and look up the Bios configuration settings.

To access the BIOS you normally have to press delete during the POST start up of your computer. Some however use different keys (normally one of the F keys). If this is the case it will state that during startup.

Once in the BIOS, just browse through the menus looking for something that indicates RAM speed. When you exit make sure you save the changes as it is easy to exit discarding the changes

DieSse 15:31 06 Jul 06

Which slots have you put the RAM into - in your manual it states max RAM with DDR400 is 2GB - you have 3 slots - so it must matter where you put 1GB modules.

In the BIOS you have a setting "CPU FSB/DRAM ratio:"

if it's set to Auto - change it to "By SPD" - this reads the memory speed from the modules, and adjusts the RAM speed accordingly. tht eAuto settings sets the speed in relation to the CPU FSB speed - which may not be 400MHz (or probably 200MHz due to the Doubling up by the RAM)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…