HOW CAN I WIPE THE C DRIVE ON MY LAPTOP?

andywg 15:04 18 Apr 03

I have bought an IBM Thinkpad and want to wipe the c drive and start a fresh, I tried boot disk on Win98 but it didnt work! (format c)

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Many thanks

spikeychris 15:14 18 Apr 03

waggster you say "I tried boot disk on Win98 but it didnt work! (format c)" what do you mean? Have you booted from floppy disk and at the a:/ prompt typed format c

Chris

woodchip 15:38 18 Apr 03

I think what he means is that he tried starting with win CD to format but it's more than likely too old to do that so he needs to do as you say. go into cmos setup when starting computer alter boot to start with floppy as the first device it looks for to boot from then CD, then Hard Drive. Download a boot floppy from
click here

andywg 16:02 18 Apr 03

Yes, It booted ok with the 98 floppy but when i typed format c: it says format is not supported on drive c, format terminated!

What can I do?

spikeychris 17:16 18 Apr 03

waggster sorry for delay, just had a nod. Did you get the a:/ prompt when you booted from the floppy? and is your system on the C drive?

Chris

PS Good afternoon Colin.

woodchip 18:00 18 Apr 03

Hi Chris, I keep shutting down and going down stairs, to get some Sun as I am having the week doing nothing virtually, tried to get on a Caravan site for H/Week but all full. Tried booking a week before, May be I should have booked at Christmas. anyway Got fish pond outside moved caravan and put Awning up in yard but it look's like it will have to come down in the morning as it's forecast wind and rain.

waggster
Start with floppy disc do not type C:\format C:

it will look like this for the correct sintax

A:\>format C: then press enter

spikeychris 18:06 18 Apr 03

I was on a training course at radio Leeds this week and you certainly have had the weather, your better off where you are.

woodchip 18:09 18 Apr 03

Yep they can look out down south as they will get the bad wether first

woodchip 18:11 18 Apr 03

Not good at spelling or reading come to that, I could have copy pasted, wether weather

VoG™ 18:13 18 Apr 03

Good! I have some decorating to do this weekend - I'd hate that if it was still sunny.

spikeychris 18:34 18 Apr 03

waggster, pray tell, resolved??

VoG™ When your finished pop up here mate and sort mine will ya.

Chris

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…