How can I use Internet abroad

lindy 17:10 04 Aug 05

Hi wonder if anyone can help? I'm going on holiday in the next couple of weeks and the hotels says it has internet connection available so I was thinking of taking my laptop. However, how do I connect as my existing provider won't offer cover in Italy? Is there a generic company I can use? Any help appreciated.

Batch 17:30 04 Aug 05

Depends what the hotel has available.

It might be a wireless hotspot, in which case you'll need a wireless card for your laptop (PCMCIA or USB). But needs to be set up properly and several DEFINITE concerns about security.

Might just be that they have a PC that they allow guests to use (quite a few places do this). Also security concerns as there could be key-logging software installed / other spyware. So I wouldn't access any bank accounts etc.

Alternative is to use a dial-up connection. Some UK ISP's provide overseas services. Alternatively use a worldwide service - see click here

Batch 09:30 05 Aug 05

BTW, if you want to use dial-up, you'll need a suitable adapter to connect your lead to the type of phone sockets in the Italian hotel

Al94 09:44 05 Aug 05

Save yourself the hassle and probably high hotel charges. Go to an internet cafe, grab a coffee and surf fairly cheaply but as batch says, try to avoid internet banking etc.

Bagsey 12:36 05 Aug 05

If it is email you want then go to any internet cafe and use click here which I have used in many parts of the world without any hassle of carrying a laptop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…