How can I upgrade my CPU?

wobblymike 19:19 09 Oct 04

I have 2 very nice towers both running Pentium 1 166MHZ CPUs. 1 tower has 168 pin SDRAM memory, the 2nd 72 pin SIMM memory.

I have utilised an AMD K6-2 350 MHZ CPU in the SDRAM tower which works fine and which is now happily running Windows XP. I cannot however get it to work in the SIMM tower - the PC does not power up the monitor or do anything else. This is using a separate AMD processor and the one from the SDRAM tower that I know works. The only difference between the 2 is that the one that works uses SDRAM and the one that does not uses SIMM memory. Both are socket 7 boards. Can anyone explain this to me and offer some guidance on how I can get the SIMM tower to work.

Rgds

Mike

BarryKeith 19:51 09 Oct 04

You need to visit the board manufacturers sites and find the specifications for the motherboards as to what processors they can use. To do this you will need to find the make & model numbers and also the revision numbers of the boards so that you can find the relevant specifications. The details should be marked on the boards, usually near the bottom end in between the PCI slots, though you may find the make is marked elsewhere on the board, sometimes including a logo. The K6-2 is quite an old processor and you may require an Athlon or Duron for the other unit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…