How can I update my BIOS?/Larger HDD probs

Evenstar* 11:50 02 Jan 06

I recently installed a secondary hard drive and BIOS only detects 137GB of the 160GB capacity, I understand this can be updated to detect larger storage drives....my BIOS is by a company called AMI and the motheboard is by MSI (MS-6506)

Another problem I'm having is this, I can see my master (original) drive from the new one but when I login to the old one I can't see/access the new, larger drive.....how can this be amended, I'm running XP Pro.

Many thanks in advance!!! ^_^

malgall 11:57 02 Jan 06

try the web page of the hard drive maker
i have a maxtor hard drive and they supply
all software and instructions on fixing these
problems

Diodorus Siculus 12:01 02 Jan 06

As above, try first the hard drive manufacturer - they may have some suggestions. If not, the motherboard maker (MSI) may have a pointer to a new BIOS.

HAve you installed xp onto both disks? I can't really understand what you mean "when I login to the old one I can't see/access the new, larger drive".

You don't need XP on the new disk if it is going onto the machine simply for storage purposes.

Evenstar* 12:06 02 Jan 06

Many thanks to you both, will check with the HD manufacturer...i tried MSI's website but I couldn't really find what I was looking for.

Oh and I initially connected the second hard drive without installing XP on it but my master drive couldn't see it and I was unable to do anything with it...it was as though it wasn't even connected even though BIOS detected it.

pj123 12:14 02 Jan 06

You don't need to update your BIOS. Download Maxblast from: click here
which will overcome the size barrier.

I have 2 160gb hard drives in two different computers running Win 98SE and Maxblast set both of them up with no problem. They are partitioned to 60gb and 100gb each.

Diodorus Siculus 12:16 02 Jan 06

When you boot with the old disk

Right click my computer

choose manage

then disk management

from there you can format and partition the new disk. It's uselful to have xp on it as an alternative to boot from but not necessary.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:48 02 Jan 06

In Windows, click on Start->Run, enter "regedit".
# Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters registry subkey.
# From the Edit menu, select New, DWORD Value.
# Enter the name EnableBigLba, then press Enter.
# Double-click the new value, set it to 1, then click OK.
# Close the registry editor.
# Restart the machine for the change to take effect.

Evenstar* 13:06 02 Jan 06

Hey pj123, thanks...that didn't work for me cos my HD is Samsung, I tried their website but the only software I found doesn't detect the drive.

Diodorus, the old disk won't even let me see the new one, which is really weird cos I can access the old from the new one.

Fruit Bat, thanks also...what change should that cause exactly? i tried it and nothing happened... :(

pj123 17:37 02 Jan 06

I have not had a problem using Maxblast on any hard disk that I have. But maybe you could try this one then???

click here

Diodorus Siculus 17:52 02 Jan 06

Have you set the jumpers on the new disk as slave? How are they set?

Did you try the disk management as above?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:57 02 Jan 06

Will not work till after a reboot but My computer / explore should show full size of drives.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced