How can I unsuscribe to automatic Windows updates?

Antonio Machado 01:55 21 Sep 10

Hello experts !

I receive many updates from Windows during the night and sometimes they re-start my p.c. which I find very unconvenient. How can I un-suscribe that automatic service? links? steps from my p.c.? where do I click? thanks in advance for your help, all the best, Antonio.

kristain 05:09 21 Sep 10

For windows XP:

To turn off the Windows Update feature, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. Locate the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options
3. Right-click Image File Execution Options, point to New, and then click Key.
4. Type wupdmgr.exe to name the new subkey.
5. Right-click wupdmgr.exe, point to New, and then click String Value.
6. Type Debugger to name the new string value.
7. Double-click Debugger, type ntsd -- in the Value date box, and then click OK.
8. Quit Registry Editor.

For Windows Vista:
1. Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Update.

2. In the left pane, click Change settings.

3. Choose the option that you want.

4. Under Recommended updates, select the Include recommended updates when downloading, installing, or notifying me about updates check box, and then click OK. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation

For windows 7 :

1. Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button. In the search box, type Update, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Update.

2. In the left pane, click Change settings.

3. Under Important updates, choose the option that you want.

4. Under Recommended updates, select the Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates check box, and then click OK. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…