How can I transfer large files from laptop to PC ?

Tinkey Winkey 19:41 11 Oct 05

I am thinking of buying a refurbished Laptop but it only has a DVD rom drive so I can't save work to CD/DVDs.

I would want to be able to transfer large files (gigabytes)over to my PC.

1GB USB pen Drive's are as expensive as upgrading the laptop drive to a CD/DVD RW.

Is there a cheaper way to connect the laptop directly to my pc via say a usb cable ?

De Marcus™ 19:51 11 Oct 05

You could use a simple ethernet cable

Curio 19:53 11 Oct 05

Trust USB Easy File Transfer cable or similar will do that
click here

Tinkey Winkey 19:54 11 Oct 05

Would this require setting up complicated (gobbledegook )networking settings ?

Curio 20:07 11 Oct 05

With the Trust cable you have the option to network the Computers so both can use the Net or as a straightforward File transfer operation, using drag and drop. Not complicated at all.

Jonathan rawlins 20:18 11 Oct 05

It is possible to use wifi or infared or bluetooth for your two pc to talk to each other. You can then copy the files accros from the other side of the room.

Tinkey Winkey 20:24 11 Oct 05

The USB cable looks like a good idea - would this work drverless under two windows xp machines ,or do I have to install a driver ?

Curio 20:36 11 Oct 05

With the Trust you have to install either the Datalink Driver or the Virtual Network driver, depending on what you want to do. Applies to both PCs. Driver first then connect cable

De Marcus™ 20:42 11 Oct 05

An ethernet cable requires no drivers and is a LOT cheaper. This is presuming both machines have a network adapter. It is actually quite painless if both machines have xp installed.

Tinkey Winkey 20:51 11 Oct 05

If I use the ethernet cable does the networking wizard appear ?

How do I go about setting it up please ?

Both pcs have 10/100 network ports and windows xp.

De Marcus™ 20:54 11 Oct 05

Then that's the way to go. Once both pc's are connected (using a crossover cable - cheap) you can run the network connection wizard from - start - control panel - network connections - setup a home or small office network. It will offer to save the files to disk for use on the other machine which will save you configuring it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…