how can I swap xp pro activation number

pharte 22:10 18 Aug 05

The windows software I have at the moment is activated and perfectly legal but will not download the updates as it is telling me that it is an invalid activation number.

It is a corporate version which is / was supplied legitimately. I actually bought a oem copy of xp pro complete with key etc earlier this year to put onto a different computer as an guprade from win 98se.

I rang the microsoft helpline over the last two days and spoke with a bunch of indian robots who could not grasp what I wanted to do, I have two choices 1, to get the corporate software to activate to be able to get the upodates 2, to swap the activation codes. I want to be able to do this without re installing xp again if possible.

Any ideas?

DieSse 22:31 18 Aug 05

Whilst it is possible to swap codes, it's also possible that an OEM code won't actually work with an installed Corporate version - I really don't know the answer.

If you put ... winxp change product key ... into a google search there are many sites which explain how to do it.

AndySD 22:40 18 Aug 05

Probably the only way is to do a repair install of xp and use your new numbew when asked

Eric10 08:56 19 Aug 05

Keyfinder from Magical Jelly Beans click here allows you to change the product key if you look under Options.

TonyM 09:59 19 Aug 05

A friend of mine has the same problem - with a machine supplied by a now defunct computer shop, with a copy of XP included in the price, but that now turns out to be a "Corporate" version which (through no fault of their own) they can't update, and as uyou have found out Microsoft don't want to know.

If it's just a case of downloading updates , there are already quite a number of ways of "fooling" the validation check out there - a quick google search will do the trick - simplest way is to open Internet Explorer, go to Tools/ Manage Add ons, look for the "Windows Genuine Advantage Validation tool" in the list and disable it !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…