How can I stop msmsgs from loading in XP Pro?

wx622 18:05 29 Dec 03

I want to stop the msmsgs process from loading when I boot into windows. It is not under the startup group items in msconfig. Also, when I stop the process with Task Manager, it comes back again, about five minutes later. Can anyone advise?

VoG II 18:08 29 Dec 03

Stop MSN Messenger from loading at startup.

wx622 18:17 29 Dec 03

It is not listed as one of the startup items, and it cannot be uninstalled as it is part of XP as installed by default. There is no uninstall program, nor can it be removed in Add/Remove Windows Components.

leo49 18:18 29 Dec 03

An easy way to remove it from startup is to open the program, go to Tools|Options and uncheck "Run this program when Windows starts" on the Preferences tab. If you are running IE6, you should also go into Outlook Express to Tools|Options and on the General tab uncheck the item that loads MSN Messenger at startup.

VoG II 18:20 29 Dec 03

MSN Messenger, not Windows Messenger.

However, if you want to remove Windows Messenger then Start, Run, type in

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

and click OK.

cdb 18:22 29 Dec 03

It's in msconfig under start up on my xp home pc, but I don't know how different xp pro is. Can you delete it from add/remove programs? (windows components)

spikeychris 18:23 29 Dec 03

If you want rid permanantly shut down IE and OU and from run type this

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

wx622 18:26 29 Dec 03

Cheers, this might just about get rid of it. Back soon.

wx622 18:29 29 Dec 03

Before I try this command line, VoG and spikeychris, how can I revert the process if I need to?

VoG II 18:31 29 Dec 03

You could do a repair installation of XP.

If you don't run Messenger, you won't need to reverse the process.

cdb 18:32 29 Dec 03

Are msn messenger and windows messenger not the same thing?

click here
click here

Is it the windows messaging service (or whatever it's called?) that's the other one that pops up as a big grey box on your screen?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…