How can I stop Media Player Classic being

pj123 18:37 05 Jun 05

my default player?

If I try to listen to BBC radio or try some sample music tracks which are .ram files they used to start in Real Alternative. Now they all start in Media Player Classic. But whenever I close MP Classic it always comes up with "This programme has performed an illegal operation and will close". Its Properties say it is in the Temporary Internet Files. So I do a clean up and delete all Temp Internet Files and also all Cookies. But the next time I log on its back.

Any ideas, please. Oh, sorry. Running Win98SE

ashdav 18:43 05 Jun 05

I used to have this problem. Got around it by uninstalling MPC then reinstalling. If you have Real Alternative do you still need MPC?

Joe R 18:52 05 Jun 05

pj123,

click on view, options, format and untick all, except for the real formats.

pj123 19:15 05 Jun 05

ashdav, no I don't want MPC at all. I didn't ask for it but for some reason it seems to install itself every time I log on to the internet.

Sorry, Joe R. do you mean view, options, format in MPC? Thanks.

I have already got Windows Media Player which I don't use either.

Joe R 19:18 05 Jun 05

pj123,

yes, should have added to apply also after changes.

Joe R 19:20 05 Jun 05

pj123,
also should have added to make sure, all the autoplay options are unticked.

pj123 20:05 05 Jun 05

Sorry Guys. I am now in a worse state than China.

Joe R, I did all that but it still insists on being the default audio player. I don't want MPC at all. I thought I had sussed it, I did a search and found it was in C:\Program Files.

It wasn't listed in Control Panel, Add and Remove so I deleted it from Program Files. I have rebooted and now all I get is an error message saying "mplayer.exe" cannot be found. I want to make Real Alternative or even JetAudio which I also have the default player.

Thank you and ashdav for your help so far.

ashdav you said you got round the problem by uninstalling and reinstalling. Where did you reinstall from, because I don't know where it came from in the first place?

Joe R 20:09 05 Jun 05

pj123,

real alternative can only be used in conjunction with media player classic, and is downloaded with real alternative.

click here

StephenRogers 20:18 05 Jun 05

You could either go into jetaudio and set it to be the default audio player, or open an audio file using:
-open with
-browse
-jetaudio

and click the 'always use this programme' box

pj123 20:27 05 Jun 05

Joe R, Brilliant. Thank you. Now I know where it came from. I have uninstalled it and downloaded it again. This time I have taken the ticks out of "make this my default player".

StephenRogers, thank you as well. I have done that and everything is now back to how it was.

Appreciate all your time and assistance.

Will tick as resolved.

ashdav 23:56 05 Jun 05

I thought you had installed MPC yourself. From your posts it's clear you've picked it up from the net somewhere. I was citing an instance where I had intentionally installed MPC and it screwed up. It looks like MPC has been installed on your computer by a bot of some kind. I would recommend you run any anti spyware you have installed. The usual a2, Spybot,Adaware combo should suffice If you haven't got it, install Spywareblaster click here If you get no positive results from the above you should run Hijackthis click here and post your log at click here
Good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…