How can I stop Indexer for good?

firegamp 12:09 05 Jan 10

Indexer is becoming a lot more than just a nuisance. I want to get rid of the intrusive so-and-so. It seems to be slowing down my XP Pro machine to almost a crawl.
I'm sure it is at the root of the trouble, because when I put it on "Snooze", things really speed up! Snooze has to re-applied after every start-up. however, which is a drag to say the least. And there seem to be no time scale for how long it snoozes.....
How can I just disable it - or better still, uninstall it? And where can I find it, to do so?!! I rarely use M'Soft Search, in any case, because Copernic Desktop Search is plenty good enough. firegamp

MAT ALAN 12:18 05 Jan 10

To turn off indexing:

Open up "My Computer."
Right-click on your hard drive (usually "C:") and choose "Properties."
Uncheck the box at the bottom that reads "Allow Indexing Service to..."
Click OK, and files will be removed from memory. This removal may take a few minutes to complete.

To disable the indexing service:

In the "Start" menu, choose "Run."
Type "services.msc" and press Enter.
Scroll-down to "Indexing Service" and double-click it.
If the service status is "Running", then stop it by pressing the "Stop" button.
To make sure this service doesn't run again, under "Startup Type:", choose "Disabled."
Windows search will still work if you perform these steps, but it will work more slowly than if indexing was enabled.

johndrew 14:20 05 Jan 10

Thanks for that. I didn`t ask but I have used it to get rid if that particular bit of pain.

Input Overload 22:39 05 Jan 10

It's one of the first things I do on a PC is disable indexing. With modern fast drives it hardly makes any difference anyway. And it stops the continual hard drive chatter. You wont regret it.

firegamp 09:17 06 Jan 10

Cheers, Mat and friends. No more indexer. Peace at last. firegamp

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…