How can I stop Indexer for good?

firegamp 12:09 05 Jan 10

Indexer is becoming a lot more than just a nuisance. I want to get rid of the intrusive so-and-so. It seems to be slowing down my XP Pro machine to almost a crawl.
I'm sure it is at the root of the trouble, because when I put it on "Snooze", things really speed up! Snooze has to re-applied after every start-up. however, which is a drag to say the least. And there seem to be no time scale for how long it snoozes.....
How can I just disable it - or better still, uninstall it? And where can I find it, to do so?!! I rarely use M'Soft Search, in any case, because Copernic Desktop Search is plenty good enough. firegamp

MAT ALAN 12:18 05 Jan 10

To turn off indexing:

Open up "My Computer."
Right-click on your hard drive (usually "C:") and choose "Properties."
Uncheck the box at the bottom that reads "Allow Indexing Service to..."
Click OK, and files will be removed from memory. This removal may take a few minutes to complete.

To disable the indexing service:

In the "Start" menu, choose "Run."
Type "services.msc" and press Enter.
Scroll-down to "Indexing Service" and double-click it.
If the service status is "Running", then stop it by pressing the "Stop" button.
To make sure this service doesn't run again, under "Startup Type:", choose "Disabled."
Windows search will still work if you perform these steps, but it will work more slowly than if indexing was enabled.

johndrew 14:20 05 Jan 10

Thanks for that. I didn`t ask but I have used it to get rid if that particular bit of pain.

Input Overload 22:39 05 Jan 10

It's one of the first things I do on a PC is disable indexing. With modern fast drives it hardly makes any difference anyway. And it stops the continual hard drive chatter. You wont regret it.

firegamp 09:17 06 Jan 10

Cheers, Mat and friends. No more indexer. Peace at last. firegamp

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now