How can I start Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express already installed from a Windows 8 Workstation?

K*B 19:59 15 Apr 14

Friends, how can I start Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express from a workstation running Windows 8? My problem is that Windows 8 has "All Programs" hidden so it is challenging to get to locate and start an application. I've had MS SQL Server 2008 Express installed and ready to access and use, but I can't even start it. Certainly start-up would'nt have been a problem with Win 7 or Vista. How do I do this from a Windows 8 workstation? Please help. Thanks in advance.

K*B 07:32 18 Apr 14

SOMEBODY HELP PLEASE! I JUST WANT TO KNOW HOW TO START MICROSOFT SQL 2008 USING A PC RUNNING ON WINDOWS 8. HOW IS IT DONE? I HAVE TRIED AND FAILED. ANYONE WHO HAS DONE THAT BEFORE? TO START APPLICATIONS ON PCs RUNNING WINDOWS 8 IS NOT SIMPLE. PLEASE HELP! THANKS IN ADVANCE.

aquatarkus 09:08 18 Apr 14

Hi there, are you running Win8 or Win8.1? On the start screen just start typing the name of the program you want to open, Think in this case would type "SQL" without the quotes.

If you are running Win8.1 then if on the start screen you will see a small arrow near the bottom left of screen, click that and you will then see a screen come up listed as APPS by name with a small v click the v and you can sort by date installed, most used or category. If you still can't see the icon for SQL use the scroll bar at the bottom to see all apps & programs installed. once you have found the icon right click it and you will get the options to pin to start, pin to task bar, open in new window.

Regards Aquatarkus P.S please don't type in capitals your shouting

K*B 11:51 18 Apr 14

Thanks Acquatarkus. I'm running Win8. I'll try and let you know what happens. And, sorry for "shouting" online. By the way, some more detail please: You mean I right-click on "Start", choose "Run" and type SQL in the box? Thanks in advance.

aquatarkus 16:42 18 Apr 14

Hi K*B

no. you don't need to right click or choose the run command, on the start screen you just start to type the name of the program or file you are looking for.

Sorry for the next rant but why do people have problems with this, its so easy even my wife has got the idea.

Regards Aquatarkus

K*B 21:13 18 Apr 14

Thanks Aquatarkus. I've got the idea too now. I'll do and let you know what happens. Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5