How can I speed up the opening of web pages please

Granny. 18:27 01 Apr 04

Apologies... Novice let loose !!!
My computer is 2nd-hand and rather elderly and I have Windows 98, but don`t have the disc.
Whenever I go to a new site or even just open a page, it takes forever. Is there any way I can make it any faster, bearing in mind that I am a complete novice and don`t know (or understand) all the technical terms yet, so idiot proof advice would be very much appreciated.

Totally-braindead 18:34 01 Apr 04

The only thing I can think of is - what speed is your modem, if its not a 56k one then you could get a new one for about £15 which would speed things up

Totally-braindead 18:35 01 Apr 04

Goto START CONTROL PANEL SYSTEM

Totally-braindead 18:35 01 Apr 04

Goto START CONTROL PANEL SYSTEM

Totally-braindead 18:39 01 Apr 04

Sorry thats me trying to type too fast goto START CONTROL PANEL SYSTEM and look for the modem, if it says 56k then you're stuck, if it says something else eg 33.6k Rockwell modem then you can speed things up by buying a faster modem. Also have a look at what speed you are connecting at, if you let the mouse pointer sit above the 2 little computer monitors down at the bottom of your screen it will tell you what speed you are connected at.

Pesala 20:13 01 Apr 04

In advanced options, scroll down the page to multimedia. You can uncheck some or all of these boxes:

Play animations in web pages ?

Play videos in webpages ?

Play sounds in webpages ?

Show pictures ?

The last of these should make a big difference as pictures take much longer to download than text, but it will also make a big difference to the way that the page looks. The PCA site at least is quite usuable without pictures. Try it and see if it is any better for you.

If it doesn't help, go back to the Advanced options and click on Restore Defaults.

Granny. 13:44 02 Apr 04

Thanks for that, I`ve got a 56k internal NetoDragon modem, and when I looked at the speed, it seems to change all the time?
I tried unchecking the boxes, but it hardly made any difference, maybe I`ve got to be more patient !.

Belatucadrus 14:56 02 Apr 04

You could try this click here download, as with all web accelerators the claims are ridiculously optimistic, but its free and smaller than most so worth a try.

syhburj 15:10 02 Apr 04

If you have tried all the previous advice then get on to broadband even at 3 times normal it will help. Tiscali at £15.99/month so what is your telephone cost per month? in comparison.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 15:12 02 Apr 04

Try emptying the temp internet folder may help.
Also set the size of the folder to about 80mb.

Regards.

GaT7 15:28 02 Apr 04

Please let us know:

1. Your ISP (the company that provides your Internet connection).

2. Are you using your phone line for the FIRST time to go online?

3. Do you have any ad/spyware scanners/programs installed? E.g., Adaware, Spybot-S&D, SpywareBlaster, etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…