How can I sort Excel pre 1900 dates

Biji 09:41 08 Sep 06

Excel in XP only appears to accept dates of 1900 onwards as proper dates, 1900 being 1 according to the help files. Doing family history I want the prog to accept dates prior to 1900 and to be able to sort them. Is this possible, please

Gongoozler 09:57 08 Sep 06

Excel doesn't make it easy. Apparently this is because Excel was originally designed to be compatible with Lotus 123. There is a sort of work-around here click here

ArrGee 10:03 08 Sep 06

Would it be feasible to place the day/month/year in separate cells as opposed to a date in a single cell?

VoG II 13:43 09 Sep 06

Format the column that holds the dates as Text.

Select all of your dates, Data > Text to Columns, choose Delimited with the Other option, / as delimiter.

Then follow ArrGee's suggestion.

Noldi 14:43 09 Sep 06

click here

Some more info

Noldi

Noldi 14:50 09 Sep 06

Sorry Gongoozler
didnt see your click here you already had it. That is a great adin if you work with dates.

Noldi

Biji 13:47 25 Sep 06

Thanks, folks.

I couldn't get on with XDATE - it appears ticked on the 'add-ins' list but I can't make it do anything - Any suggestions, please?

I have managed using Vor's instruction followed by AarGee's and then using CONCATENATE to put the separate colums back together plus fill down for a block, so am making progress.

Any further advice you may care to offer would be much appreciated though.

Noldi 16:54 25 Sep 06

click here
Found this but have not tried it yet.
Noldi

Biji 16:18 26 Sep 06

Thanks, Noldi - works well and fairly quick to do so

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…