How can i send fax from my laptop

Daveson 01:03 06 Sep 04

Hi there, can you tell me how i would go bout sending a fax from my laptop... What i need etc, Cheers from craig.

TomJerry 02:31 06 Sep 04

Suppose you have a Word doc to send, print inside and select Printer "FAX" (if you use XP), it will ask you for Fax number etc, then bla bla.

If you want to fax a printed (handwritting) page, you need to have a scanner to scan it into computer and then, open scaned image, print to fax same as the word doc.

There is alway another method: "Hold the page in front of screen, shout Fax". (This is a joke suggested by a PC support guy).

accord 07:46 06 Sep 04

what version of windows are you using and do you have dial up. You cant send faxes via broadband.

Stuartli 08:29 06 Sep 04

If you have XP (and dialup), go to Start>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs and click on Add/Remove Windows Components. Tick the Fax feature which is not installed by default.

You can then configure the Fax Console and send faxes using a cover page of your choice.

If you have broadband you will have to add a modem to your system - maximum fax speed is only 14.4kbps so even a 28.8 or 33.6kbps modem will suffice.

The problem is if you wish to also receive faxes. I have dialup so use Tiscali's Fax to E-mail service; you are provided with your own dedicated 0871-xxx-xxx fax number and Tiscali takes a proportion of the sender's call charge as its "reward".

You can read the fax to e-mail(s) in normal fax layout.

Stuartli 08:42 06 Sep 04

Once you have installed the Fax Console from Add/Remove Components, the console's Help pages will outline the steps required for configuration.

It's pretty straightfoward.

If you have an older version of Windows, you will need to install Windows Messaging; from the Windows Installation disk install Awfax.exe and wms.exe.

Like the Fax Console this program is similar in layout to Outlook Express, including Inbox, Sent, Deleted etc folders.

Daveson 10:18 06 Sep 04

ok thanks. ihave xp and dial-up so i will give it a go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…