//some 3rd party need geo

How Can I See These "Hidden" Files

s99Raj 18:45 25 Mar 05

I have a Hard Drive taken from Machine B and attached it as a slave to Machine A. I wish to recover a folder (which I can see) onto A. The folder is called "Heather" and is in Documents and Settings. I know it's full of Word files etc. but when I go to it I'm told that it is empty, and if I try to open it I get "Access is denied". I think this is because XP sees it as some sort of System File. Is that correct?

How do I get to see the true contents of this folder and therefore copy them over to A? The drive won't boot properly in Machine B so I want to get the contents of this "Heather" folder and then restore XP back on.

VoG II 18:51 25 Mar 05

Take ownership of the files click here

mattyc_92 18:54 25 Mar 05

You have created permissions for the folder and it's contents... Take ownership of it as VoG suggests and then you can overwrite the permissions and, thus, you can then access....

Fingees 18:58 25 Mar 05

Go to My computer
Select drive
select tools
select folder options
View
tick show hidden files

woodchip 19:03 25 Mar 05

If this drive came from a Win98 comp onto XP you may not see them. or the opposite way round. if they are both the same OS you should see them however a Fat32 system will not see NTFS files even with same OS

s99Raj 19:17 25 Mar 05

Sorted!

Thanks VoG !!

mattyc_92 20:16 25 Mar 05

Not quite....

A FAT32 system is Windows 98, 95, 3.1... And THESE o/s's aren't able to view NTFS...

However, you can install Win2k onto a FAT32 drive, and it would still view an NTFS drive.... It is the operating system's limitations, and not the type of system format you use....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…