How can I save a read-only file?

Duncanf 23 Mar 13
Answered

I was working on a large Word document when it suddenly froze and closed leaving me with a read-only document which I can't seem to save. I need to retain this original....is there a way to get it back or save it?

lotvic 23 Mar 13

Do you mean Word froze and closed? or the pc froze and closed?

If doc is read-only .... is it still open in Word?

suggestions to try:

or is it a read-only .doc in 'My Documents' ? (try rightclick | Properties and clear the 'read only' setting) or (rightclick | copy, and then paste, then change the 'read only' properties in the copy of file)

Did you close Word down, are there any messages on screen,

Have you reopened Word - Autorecovery should kick in and get last saved copy back and open it.

Duncanf 23 Mar 13
Answer

Thank you lotvic for your suggestions. Sorry I wasn't more specific in my details. It was Word that had frozen and 'not responding' and I was scared to close Windows incase I had lost the pages. As my post was late, I didn't see your message till morning and I had already tried to cut/paste on my own. That has worked and, as you suggested, Auto recovery has saved the original in its previous saved state. Very many thanks for reply as I now have a few options if it happens again!

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Why Formula-e needs to go faster

Found Studio reveals the making of the Unleashed, Uncut Peugeot 208 viral

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message