How can I repair damaged files following recovery?

Purple Sue 21:23 PM 25 Sep 12

Hi - I had to take my pc to a shop after it died spectacularly, and the kind gentleman recovered our files. However, some I cannot open to determine what they are (they came back re-named file 1, file 2 etc!) as they say they are damaged. Is there simple repair programme out there (preferable free). some have ~$ or _$ at the start of the filename. I am guessing .TMP are temporary files, so can be deleted. Any ideas?

PurpleSue

woodchip 21:48 PM 25 Sep 12

I don't think you will get these files back, they sound like Scandisk files, And I would say the Hard Drive as been replaced

Purple Sue 22:14 PM 25 Sep 12

files were saved for us to a external hard drive- and that is disappointing.

woodchip 18:04 PM 26 Sep 12

They are called Chains by Scandisk it does not know what to do with them so it stores all the bits in those type of files above. They are like Orphans

Purple Sue 21:38 PM 27 Sep 12

Thanks guys - recovery fix looks very expensive, and if my pc failed due to a virus or something, maybe they are best left alone. Thought there may be a freeware thing or something I could try.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? Windows 10 is now available, so do you have to upgrade? 8 reasons…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

How to run Windows 10 on Mac: How to run Windows 10 using Boot Camp or VirtualBox to install…