How can I remove Windows Media Player

KITA 14:37 09 Jul 06

Can anyone give me any advice on how I can remove Windows Media Player 11 from my system.I was happy with version 10 then I thought I would download the new Beta version,but can't get it to work.I have tried system restore and reinstalling WMPlayer v10,but neither has worked as it is still recognising a newer version running on my system!
So heeelllp please!

VoG II 14:38 09 Jul 06

Start, Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs, Add/Remove Windows components.

KITA 14:56 09 Jul 06

I tried that before I posted this,unfortunately it didn't work.Cheers anyway VoG

VoG II 15:00 09 Jul 06

Rolling back to a previous version of the Player
Windows Media Player is a feature of the Windows operating system and cannot be removed entirely. However, in Windows XP, you can roll back to the version of the Player that was previously on your computer.

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to perform the following procedure.
Disconnect any portable music or video devices that might be attached to your computer.
For more information, see Issues with devices after removing Windows Media Player.
In Category View of Control Panel, click Add or Remove Programs, and then click Remove a program.
At the top of the list, select the Show updates check box.
In the Windows XP - Software Updates section, click Windows Media Player 11, and then click Change/Remove.
In each of the two confirmation dialog boxes that appear, click OK.
When the rollback process is complete (it might take several minutes to complete), click Restart.
In Category View of Control Panel, click Add or Remove Programs, and then click Remove a program.
At the top of the list, select the Show updates check box.
In the Windows XP - Software Updates section, click Windows Media Format 11 Runtime, and then click Change/Remove.
If you installed a non-US English version of Windows Media Player 11, the instructions in the dialog boxes that are mentioned in steps 9, 10, and 11 might appear in English.
In the first confirmation dialog box that appears, click OK.
In the second confirmation dialog box that appears, select the Do you want to continue with the rollback? check box, and then click OK.
When the rollback process is complete (it might take several minutes to complete), click Restart.
Click Microsoft User-Mode Driver Frameworks Feature Pack 1.0, and then click Remove.
Follow the instructions that appear in the Software Update Removal Wizard.
If the Wudf01000 confirmation dialog box appears, click Yes to continue. When the software removal process is complete (it might take several minutes to complete), click Finish.

Note If you remove Windows Media Player 11 and the Windows Media Format 11 Runtime, and then encounter error C00D271D ("A problem has occurred in the Digital Rights Management component. Contact Microsoft product support."), you might be able to resolve the problem by installing the Windows Media Format 9.5 Runtime. For information about installing the Runtime, in the Microsoft Knowledge Base, see article 891122, "Update for Windows Media Digital Rights Management-enabled players."
You might not be able to roll back to a previous version of the Player if the hidden folder $NtUninstallwmp11$ is deleted from your computer. Some non-Microsoft programs (such as CCleaner) delete this folder in an attempt to remove unwanted files from your computer.

ade.h 15:16 09 Jul 06

You can roll back to a previous version provided your current versions was an upgrade and not part of your OS revision. As per the above instructions.

This assumes, however, that the uninstall facility for said upgrade still exists, which is indicated by its presence in the updates listed in "Change or Remove Progs". There is a known problem in which it sometimes does not get into this list and the uninstaller goes AWOL.

However, trying to remove WMP via "Add/Remove Windows Components" only removes access to the program; it doesn't actaully uninstall it, and therefore cannot cure any problems that it has. In these instances, the best chance of curing a problem comes when a new version is made available.

The usual file repair methods (SFC, etc.) rarely seem to have any effect on WMP problems.

In your case, KITA, WMP11 should be listed among the updates, allowing for what I said above.

KITA 15:23 09 Jul 06

I found a previously posting,someone with a similar problem,they where advised to try the following,is anyone familiar with this method before I try this one as well.

Try Start menu>Run>Command>(Type in or Copy and Paste)

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\wmp.inf,Uninstall

ArrGee 18:13 09 Jul 06

I would advise against that. You cannot remove WMP (as previously mentioned) If you want a different player as your default, then simply make sure the new app has the options set to be the default for each music/sound/picture/video file type. Disable the defaults from WMP and you won't have to see it again.

rdave13 18:49 09 Jul 06

Try ccleaner. I used it to roll back to version 10. Tools tab and scroll down to wmp11.Click run uninstaller.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos