how can I reload win 98se on my win xp box

BIG SHREK 21:12 23 Jan 05

This may seem like a daft question, My old box is too low on ram (64) for win xp. Reason I loaded xp onto this system was because I couldn't find my 2nd cd for win 98se, Packard Bell came with 2 win98se cds 1 of which we lost.
I don't know if this is making sense, but I have a "copy" of win 98se and I can't load it.
Does win xp have some sort of programme to stop yer formatting the h/d?
Sorry if it's dis-jointed I've been trying all day n I'm worn out. thanx in anticipation.
big shrek

VoG II 21:15 23 Jan 05
  Technotiger 21:16 23 Jan 05

Hi, do you have a rescue floppy disk for 98se?
if so you could try that, it should have Fdisk on it which you could use to re-format your hd so that you could then re-instal 98se.

Cheers.

woodchip 22:21 23 Jan 05

You have to use FDISC to remove the partition info and recreate a new partition and format it before you can load Win98se

EdFrench 22:42 23 Jan 05

Win98se came with dos utilities so you could delve a little deeper.
WinXP does not.
The win98se or win98 rescue disk will work if you want to format your HD. (This will be the best way to go) so back up all of your data first. remember to get all important data from your email folders.
You will have to set the bios to boot from your floppy first or the bios will just keep finding Winxp boot ini. I have even had to disable HDD-0 in the past to get it to boot from the floppy.

Boot to dos only (Command Prompt)
Type in 'fdisk'

follow the instructions to first DELETE primary partition

Then CREATE new primary partition.

Remember to check large drive support

You will now be able to format the partition to fat32.

Put the rescue disk back in and boot with cd rom support - (Or boot from win98 setup disk)

Re-install win98se

Ed

BIG SHREK 14:16 24 Jan 05

thanks guys, will try tO format again,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…