How can I reinstall XP?

yogibear 20:09 14 Jun 03

My brother has just bought his first PC, and it came with no anti-virus software on it. As it was a new toy, he went straight on the net and, lo and behold, picked up his first virus.This came, irinically, after he had downloaded AVG 6.0 antivirus.
The most I can get out of him is that it is lodged in the C:/windows/usertemp folder. It won't delete, he can't quarantine it, and cannot move the file to the bin for cleaning later.
I tried to get him to reinstall XP from c:/windows/options/cabs (clutching at straws I know) but this doesn't seem to exist in XP.
Is there any way of getting him back to working order?

barrie_g 20:12 14 Jun 03

try deleting it in safe mode, to get to safe mode press F8 just after the post beep on start-up

Peverelli 00:52 15 Jun 03

I reinstalled XP on top of itself after getting startup problems (could only use Safe Mode). Just put the CD and let it go through the normal process. Seems to have done the trick.

Kitz E Kat 02:36 15 Jun 03

Would all virus Writer's please leave the planet now..

All aboard...

You are being sent to a better place..

And us mere mortals can get on with life...

You know it makes sense........

I like a challenge.. but not at other peoples expense..
Grow Up and get a life

Can you handle that???

Leave Me, Yogibear and friends to get on with ours...

Wasters....

If you aint got nothin to say say nothin..
If you aint got nothin to do do nothin....

Sorry for your troubles
Kitz E Kat

rawprawn 09:06 15 Jun 03

Make sur your computer is configured to start from the CD drive. Put the XP CD in & restart the computer When press any key to boot from CD is displayed Press enter.When you see To Set up Windows XP now, press enter. You will then see an option to press R to enter the recovery console DO NOT SELECT this option, on the Windows licensing agreement make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, & then press the R key to repair XP. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the set up. If you have XP Service Pack 1 you will lose it & will need to reinstall that afterwards. Good luck.

Peverelli 10:55 15 Jun 03

???????????
Bad hair day?

yogibear 22:07 17 Jun 03

Thanks for that, I have passed on all the above and something has worked because he is back on line. He's not too sure what actually did it, but thanks all.

yogibear

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…