How can I reformat an NTFS partion to use with 98?

3rdday 20:01 01 Feb 04

Have inherited an old PC which had NT 4 installed. The hard disk had two partions - C was 2Gb FAT 16, D was 4Gb NTFS. I've installed Windows 98 on C, but it can't see the D partition. I've tried using Fdisk, but although it can see the D partition, which it says is an extended DOS partition, it won't let me do anything with it. I've also tried using "format D:" at the command prompt, but that says D is not a valid drive. Ideally, I'd like to make the hard disk one 6Gb FAT 32 partition, but if not then just to be able to format and use D would be good. How can I do this?

Chegs ® 20:08 01 Feb 04

click here

Try here,one of these will get you what you require.I have used the File Recovery Disk. Read/Copy Files From XP NTFS Volumes To FAT32/16 Drives to access my xp from 98se partition.

Chegs ® 20:11 01 Feb 04

click here

Or,if you have a cd burner then create this cd and it has all sorts of DOS/Linux tools,and a free partition manager,etc.

3rdday 20:36 01 Feb 04

I had a brainwave. I booted the PC from the XP setup disk which I have for my other PC and used that to remove the D: partition. I was then able to go back to Fdisk to remove the existing C: and create a new C: for the whole disk.

Thanks for your suggestions, though. Those websites look like they could come inuseful another time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…