How can I print from my laptop?

mikel1878 22:02 PM 16 Feb 11

Hi guys
this has probably een asked loads of times but I can't find anything on it. I have a desktop pc with a printer connected to it. I also have a laptop (and so does my daughter) which are wifi connected to he modem. The desktop is hard wired. How do I send something to the printer? I presume I would have to load the printer drivers onto the laptops but will that then work or is there something else I need to do?
Any advice appreciated.

Strawballs 22:42 PM 16 Feb 11

Go to the printer on the desktop and right click on it and check that it is setup for sharing, then on the laptop go to printers > add a printer > network printer > browse then choose the printer on the desktop and it will install the drivers from that machine and ask if you want it as default printer, then repeat proccess on other laptop.

mikel1878 21:07 PM 17 Feb 11

Thaks for that. Unfortunately, when I browse for the printer, in the shared printers box it lists "Micosof Windows Network" then tells me that I need to "specify a valid network printer name". My printer is a Samsung SCX-4300 Series. If I put thi in the printer name box, I'm told that I have entered the printer name incorrectly. I suspect that the syntax is wrng. Can you advise further?

mikel1878 18:20 PM 20 Feb 11

Not had much time to look at this. My laptop runs XP but the desktop runs Vista. I tried following the XP instructions but they don't tally. I will search the web for directions. If you know where to find them, can you reply, please.

thanks again

mikel1878 21:46 PM 21 Feb 11

Another brick wall! I'm giving up and will transfer files using USB to print. Thanks anyway guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 review: Hands-on with the new generation of Surface

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Crowdfunding for world’s first 3D camera-computer found in 30 hours

2015 iMac release date rumours, specs, price & features: new 21in 4K Retina iMacs coming next week