How can I open PDF Files in Windows XP?

camerauser 17:14 05 Aug 13

Hi everybody, I hope one of you can offer me a solution to the following problem. My operating system is Windows XP and recently I find I cannot open PDF files. Each time I try I receive a dialog box informing me that "The file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folders Option control panel". I have just bought and installed Photoshop Elements 11 which works fine, but when I download a help file in PDF format it will not open.

Zak 17:26 05 Aug 13

You need to install a PDF reader programme. There are many free ones to choose from

pdf reader win xp

Best Free Non-Adobe PDF Reader

lotvic 17:38 05 Aug 13

I use the free Foxit Reader for my pdf files

Ian in Northampton 17:45 05 Aug 13

... or you could easily use Adobe Reader, which is what I do...

woodchip 17:55 05 Aug 13

Foxit is what I use its very small file size, compared to Adobe reader

john bunyan 18:41 05 Aug 13

Your alias is camerauser. If you have any version of Photoshop it will open - and create -.pdf files

Zak 18:52 05 Aug 13

camerauser

Have you checked the file association:

How to change the default program a file opens with in Windows XP

Using above tutorial change association for .pdf files to be opened by default with Photoshop

john bunyan 18:55 05 Aug 13

Sorry, I had not fully read that you have a version of Photoshop, so just follow Zak's advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…