How can I monitor my Dial-Up Modem Speed please ?

Tinkey Winkey 22:18 03 Jun 04

Looking for a cheap 56k modem via the usual online sites.

Reading other peoples reviews they mention slow connection speeds between 30-40k on a 56k modem.

How do I measure my modem speed please ?
(Windows Me)

VoG II 22:29 03 Jun 04
  Tinkey Winkey 22:31 03 Jun 04

I've just double-clicked on the computer icons in the system tray and it tells me the speed I'm connected at !!

That's the first time I've resolved my own question!

Obvious really - What a plonker I am !!

woodchip 22:56 03 Jun 04

And what did it say? click here

2neat 23:13 03 Jun 04

speed and snails springs to mind with a 56k !

woodchip 23:29 03 Jun 04

some cannot afford bb, like me on pension

2neat 09:18 04 Jun 04

shame they cant offer reduced BB along with your bus pass! I traded off sky so I could have BB. Much better value I fink.

Tinkey Winkey 09:39 04 Jun 04

Woodchip - currently connected at a measly 35kbs with Freeserve Anytime and a 56k Smartlink software modem.

I have seen ads in the PC mags for 512kb BB for the same price as Anytime dialup so you probably could afford it.

2neat - I'd love to have BB but unfortunately it's not avilable in my area yet.

They say it could be here in September untill then I'll keep on snailing...........

Stuartli 10:00 04 Jun 04

Make sure you have the latest modem driver and that DUN is configured correctly.

It's also essential to have a quiet phone line - dial 17070 and choose option two to test the line on your phone. Don't use an extension, only the phone connected to the master socket.

The connection speed also depends on the standard of your ISP's service and, to some extent, on how far away you are from the telephone exchange.

For comparison purposes, I get 49.2kbps consistently with Tiscali and 50.7 to 52kbps with Pipex.

Help on modem matters can be found at:

click here

woodchip 14:15 04 Jun 04

That is due, I am sure to your land line, you may be sharing one also. This is what I get on two comps, this one I am on now gets a 48.000bps with external Modem my new comp with a built in modem gets 50.6bps connection, on the first and old comp I have just checked the above link I posted and for a small download it registered 46.000kbps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 Plus review: better cameras and waterproofing make this the best iPhone yet

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

iPhone vs Android | iOS vs Android: 5 reasons why Apple's iPhones beat Google Android smartphones ()…