How can I make DVDs from VHS/Video8?

kingpenguin 23:28 26 Nov 03

Hi

I want to make DVDs of VHS and Camcorder footage. I need to be able to edit video & audio, add sountracks, mix audio, sequence clips, add titles and effects etc.. What hardware (DVD writer, capture card etc) and software can you recommend?

I have an AMD 800 with 256MB RAM, Nero 5.5, intending to upgrade RAM and HD.

Thanks in advance!

MichelleC 11:13 27 Nov 03

Hauppage, AIW and Canopus are good analogue capture cards (with Canopus being most expensive but best). Nero is good burning prog. Screenblast Movie Studio click here is least hassle out of all dv editing progs.

plankton 12:41 27 Nov 03

Pinnacle have a range (they've recently taken over Dazzle, so it is pretty comprehensive now) click here
this includes hardware adapters.

If you are thinking of doing Video work, I would sugfest that you also up your RAM to a minimum of 512Mb, video applications are memory hungry. You caan find out what you need from click here

plankton 12:43 27 Nov 03

Of course I wouldn't sugfest anything, but I might suggest it ;o))

kingpenguin 16:17 28 Nov 03

Thanks for your advice, I have purchased Pinnacle Studio DC10plus, a new 80GB HD, a DVD burner, all seems to be working fine but I intend to upgrade the RAM, any recommendations?

Many thanks!

y_not 18:01 28 Nov 03

The more RAM the better.

You might find a benefit from leaving your operating system on the existing drive and copying the files to the new drive.

The files are captured as AVI files. You edit these and then author them (convert to a file that can be read by a DVD player). This produces VOB files (inside a VIDEO_TS folder) and these are burnt, via Nero, to your DVD.

Dual format DVD writers are the preferred option, Sony, NEC etc. When you come to writing the disc be sure that its recommended by the writer manufactuers. Don't be tempted to write to DVD-RW's as many DVD players will not recognise them - best option is DVD/R- format (recognised by most DVD players)

plankton 18:15 28 Nov 03

I use Pinnacle Studio8, and run with 768Mb, when I had 256Mb it was s-l-o-w. Have a look at the link to Crucial I gave you above. It'll tell you what you're looking for, and give a price...and they are quality products.

kingpenguin 11:15 02 Dec 03

All working, until I installed the DVD drive. ACPI BIOS compatibility problems.

New PC : Asus A7N266-VM/SE m/b with AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 480MB DDRAM, 6GB HD, 80GB HD, Asus CDRW, Freecom DVDR/RW, Win2000 SP4.

Studio 8 won't capture and crashes :(

mole44 11:19 02 Dec 03

i use studeo dc10 plus with studeo 8 software with 1gig of ram and a 2600 athlon and win xp,it work like greased lightening nooo problems at all

kingpenguin 11:22 02 Dec 03

Thing is on the box it says 128, 256MB RAM recommended.. Surely 480/512 is enough? Afterall my capture drive is a brand new Western Digital 7200rpm with 8MB cache :)

MichelleC 13:37 02 Dec 03

Make sure your new hd has dma enabled. Also it's best to have main prog on system drive, and capturing/editing etc on 2nd hd.

BTW some people have had probs with different rev speeds on hd's. But I've never had a prob with 'c' 5400rpm and 'd' 7200rpm.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…