How can I maim Help and Support?

Wilham 12:58 27 Jul 05

I've had my Sharp laptop with its 'XP Home Sharp Edition' for 4 years from new and it has always been over-sensitive to producing the blue 'Help and Support' screen.
Lately it has got worse; exasperating me to search for helpctr.exe files,- I found five and deleted every one.

Didn't do me any good, of course. Instead of the blue help screen I had every time the message 'Cannot find Helpctr.exe...'.

System Restore put it back to what it was.

Can anyone suggest how I can reduce the popping up of this XP Home 'Help and Support' screen?

Chegs ® 16:01 27 Jul 05
  rawprawn 16:43 27 Jul 05

Try running a system file check. Start/Run and type sfc /scannow (watch the space) you will probably need your XP Disc

Wilham 19:27 27 Jul 05

Chegs ®, the link looks very useful. Thanks.

rawprawn, I tried this;...it's good for replacing a lost file, but I'm not sure how to reduce the unwanted activity of this one. Thanks for the kind thought.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:55 27 Jul 05

If you really want to disable Help and support?

type services.msc in the run box press enter

sroll down and select help ans supprotr right click

select properties

in start up type box select disabled

in stus click stop.

this will now stop it and disable it when you next rebbot.

Wilham 21:34 27 Jul 05

Fruit Bat /\0/\. Deleting Help and Support I have tried. In fact I removed more links than the five mentioned, but thankyou, your suggestion might be more efficient.

Because it is an XP Home file I cannot be sure that some other XP/accessories haven't shortcut/links to it,- in which case I'll again get the XP Home 'Can't find...' pop ups.

Thanks for the suggestion.

VoG II 22:43 27 Jul 05

What is a "blue 'Help and Support' screen"?

Can you post a screenshot?

Kaito 05:18 28 Jul 05

VoG™
Press F1 on your desktop, its the usual Help file associated with Windows XP

or go into any folder and Help-->Help and Support Centre on the menubar

CurlyWhirly 10:33 28 Jul 05
  Wilham 12:36 28 Jul 05

To get the H&S screen press Start and select Help and Support, as Kaito says. CurlyWhirly shows it with his link. Thank you both.

It is set out for XP Home Ed'n, so XP Pro won't be lumbered with this version. I normally use XP Pro on my desk machine but it's out of action.

This blue H&S screen pops up about every minute I'm using the mouse, as if there are random sensitive spots on the screen. Clicking the top RH corner 'X' brings a superimposed second blue screen, unless I wait a few seconds for the 'Close' to appear. Typing that sentence brought it up four times, and I cleared with Ctl+Alt+Del option, holding down Ctl if more than one H&S.

I wonder if the triggering of this H&S is specific to tha Sharp Edition of XP Home? Any comment/suggestion welcomed.

Completealias 14:24 28 Jul 05

I'm running xp home and do not get the help and support centre pop at all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…