How Can I Locate & Block Online Access to Ports ?

Tinkey Winkey 09:07 26 Jul 04

Installed Norton Personal Firewall with the Live Updates and have allowed Avant Browser & Mozilla Thunderbird so I can access websites and email.

All's working fine - job done. However when I use Symantecs online Security Check at click here
it tells me I'm still vunerable to Hackers and Trojans suggesting the firewall may not be configured correctly ?

It lists these ports as open :

1 ICMP Ping - a network trouble-shooting utility.
2 Port 80 HTTP web transfer should only be open
for mail servers.
3 Port 1025 Unused Windows Services Block.

How can I find these ports and close them ?

I'm using Freeserve Anytime dial-up with Windows Me.

Diodorus Siculus 09:18 26 Jul 04

I am not sure how you would do it other than by telling your firewall to ask before anything is given access to the net.

I honestly don't think that you have any cause for concern; on dialup you are not very vulnerable anyway as your IP address changes each time you log on.

If you have your firewall, a good AV program and some spyware checker, you will not have any problems.

€dstowe 10:48 26 Jul 04

The best thing you can do is un-install all panicware.

Panicware includes most of the stuff marketed by Norton as well as several other companies and is defined as any software that predicts doom on you, your computer and the whole of civilisation if you don't do as it says.

click here

€d

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009