How can I install Cd software on a netbook pls??

julius44 19:06 11 Oct 09

Hello there my friend just asked me a question via text message. He has a netbook that has no optical drive, and he has some cds that he uses for work purposes, eg autocad, and some other video editing software that he's all paid for. He's got a netbook is there any way he'll be able to install any of his software ob the netbook as it has no optical drive??

chub_tor 19:17 11 Oct 09

Tell him to buy an external USB powered CD/DVD drive, then he can install all his software from that.

click here is one example

julius44 19:20 11 Oct 09

Apart from using the external drive, is there another way pls??

Woolwell 19:23 11 Oct 09

Personally I wouldn't want to edit video or autocad on a netbook. But chub_tor has given the best answer. The only other possible way is to copy all files onto a memory stick.

Technotiger 19:23 11 Oct 09

Put the software on a USB Stick and then transfer to netbook.

GaT7 19:27 11 Oct 09

Has he tried to do it off a USB flash drive? Copy contents of the CDs to the flash drive & run the install from there. G

julius44 19:27 11 Oct 09

okay the memory stick way seems ok,....but HOW can files on a cd be copied to a memory stick pls??? Even i have never tried copying files from a cd to memory stick before!!

iscanut2 19:37 11 Oct 09

Use one of the software programs such as Nero or Roxio to copy from CD to another source, including a USB stick.

julius44 19:54 11 Oct 09

thanks for that iscanut, pls are there any FREE PROGRAMS that can be used to copy the cd to another source including USB stick pls??? I'll also need some tutorials for the prgrams if they exist pls, thanks

GaT7 19:58 11 Oct 09

You could try copying the contents from the CD to the flash drive, i.e. just as you'd do if you were copying files/folders from one destination to another.

Open CD contents in a window > Ctrl + A (to select all contents) > Right-click & select Copy. Navigate to the USB drive window > Right-click & select Paste. G

rdave13 20:36 11 Oct 09

Not sure if this will work but if your friend has software to create an iso image of CDs or DVDs and then transfer to usb drive, then try to mount on a virtual drive. This is an oldish software but looks as if updated as it states that it's useful for notebooks; click here
Download Alcohol 52% on the netbook first. Transfer the iso image from the usb drive and mount on one of the virtual drives in Alcohol.
Never tried it myself so only a suggestion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…