How can I insert saved DBX Mail files into XP Pro

Glyn-252301 21:43 13 May 05

I had to use Drive Image to renew a messed up XP O/S. I had saved all my emails and thought I could insert them into Outlook Express as I used to do with 98 SE. They did not show up anywhere, even though I had put them into every instance of O/E under documents and settings. I have trawled through O/E and have failed to find the answer. Those Emails are very important as they contain my programme codes and suchlike.

Regards to all G.

7 of 6 :o) 21:56 13 May 05

You should be able to enter them into your store folder, which can usually be found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{F4AD79A6-19A8-43F6-A582-125865ED4D07}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

If this fails your store folder can be found by looking in Tools\Options\Maintenance

jimv7 22:12 13 May 05

Create a folder on the desktop or in my docs, ,anywhere you choose, call it what you want, open outlook express, tools/options/maintainance/store folder, browse to your new folder and click ok. all files relating to outlook express will be stored here after out/express is restarted. a copy of the file is then easy to save to another disk as a backup.

Also you can save address book and all relevant account settings to the same folder.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:13 13 May 05

Back up and recover Outlook Express
click here
Search your old computer for files ending .dbx. These are your emails. There should be Inbox.dbx, Outbox.dbx, Drafts.dbx etc. There must also be Folders.dbx, this is the data telling OE how the emails are compressed. Save all these dbx files, then you can either import them into OE on your new computer, or overwrite the files of the same name in the new computer. Look for a file called (name).wab, this is your address book, and a folder called Favorites. Save these and either import or overwrite to transfer them.

DieSse 00:08 14 May 05

As Fruit Bat mentions, and just to make it clear - you must open Outlook Express then Import the files - File - Import - and follow the wizard.

You may have to copy them into a folder on your hard drive first, and check they are not still marked "Read Only" - they won't normally import straight frm a CD.

When the Import Wizard asks you to browse to the files to Import - browse to the folder they are contained in, not to the files themselves.

Glyn-252301 17:10 14 May 05

Thank you all for your input.

I created a folder on desktop put all the dbx files in, opened O/E file/import/messages/in wizard browsed to desktop file. Got a files imported successfuly. I rebooted opened O/E and the files did not show. Then traced the O/E ID back to C:\files & settings\"My User name"\local settingd\application data\identities\{D30094CD-DF46-4B50-8A77-2603B3D77355}\Microsoft\O/E, and all the files were there.??? Must be an answer to this, never had all this trouble with 98se.

Regards G.

DieSse 19:22 14 May 05

If you'd previously copied some .dbx files into some of the identities or similar places, the indexing may be confused. Or you may not have copied all the files over first - you need ALL the files from the original folder - not just the .dbx files.

I suggest you delete all the boxes in OE - then restart OE - which should recreate them - then redo the import - I've never know it fail with Win98/ME or XP.

Glyn-252301 22:43 14 May 05

Thanks for your help, I removed all boxes exept Hotmail as that does not seem to be part of the problem. I followed your directions but still they do not show in OE. There is some thing else in the equation that I am missing, being a wrinkly I'm not as quick as in the past. I will sleep on it unless some one has more input tonight.

Warm Regards G.

DieSse 23:52 14 May 05

Have a look at the View settings - and make sure Current View - Show All Messages is ticked.

Glyn-252301 15:33 15 May 05

Checked view settings, show all messages is ticked.
That is just the sort of thing that it may be.
not being a fan of XP and certainly not the interface, I chose the classic look right through XP. Could it be some setting was changed by my choice of look.

Thanking you G.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…