How can i get Windows to close down automatically?

SpyMan²°°­­³ 23:05 09 Mar 03

I am currently downloading a programme but it is due to complete in 2hours and i want to go to bed.

Is there a way of getting windows to close down in say 2 and a half hours to be on the safe side?

Is there anyway that i can utilize 'scheduled tasks'...maybe put a particular command or file in there and get it to run that in a couple of hours??

I would much appreciate any help with this

Djohn 23:11 09 Mar 03

SpyMan²°°­­³, not sure about a program, but just leave your PC on, it will come to no harm, I very rarely turn mine off.

If you want it to disconnect from the net, then choose, (Log off when download completes).

SpyMan²°°­­³ 23:17 09 Mar 03

I don't mind leaving it on, but the humming noise drives the g/f bananas. She would rather sleep on the settee downstairs than hear the computer humming all night.

powerless 23:23 09 Mar 03

Go start > Run > Type:

shutdown -s -t 7200

Your pc will shut down in 7200 seconds according to my calculator is 2 hours. If it is not change it to suit in seconds.

A box will pop up saying shutdownn blah blah...

A15 23:25 09 Mar 03

Or go here click here & download the utility which alows you to shutdown after a specified time.

powerless 23:25 09 Mar 03

Ah 2 and half hours...

shutdown -s -t 9000

SpyMan²°°­­³ 23:33 09 Mar 03

Thanks all...goodnight

Cordy13 23:36 09 Mar 03

You could also have shown the g/f how to switch it off.

nick_j007 23:45 09 Mar 03

What use is a gold fish in all this anyhow?

Nick

nick_j007 00:02 10 Mar 03

click here
This is a cool tool, and will do all sorts for you if downloading using this utility.

Nick

MAJ 09:02 10 Mar 03

Further to Powerless' post, you could also create a shortcut to the command using

C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -s

as the "Target". Then go to Task Scheduler and you can set your PC to run the command at any time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…