how can i get sound form 2 drives? - help!

JEFoord 22:16 23 Oct 03

hi

i am trying to install a cd rewriter onto my pc.
all is well except i can only get sound from my existing dvd rom. i have 3 ports which look the same except they are coloured black yellow and green. inserting the audio cable from either drive into the black port gives me sound. what are the other ports likely to be for?
it seems like i need to put both audio cables into the black socket?
is there any wat around this.
any help would be very welcome - thankyou.
John

AubreyS 22:29 23 Oct 03

Do you have an audio cable connected to your cd rewriter? If you look at your DVD rom you will see a cable connected to it. You can get a lead that splits and will go to two drives.

©®@$ђ 22:32 23 Oct 03

the other little connection on the back of the cd rw drive will be a SPDIF connection you run a cable from that to the same connction on the sound card

click here

JEFoord 22:32 23 Oct 03

i have a cable going from dvd to motherboard for sound. a splitter sounds like a good idea. do you know where i can get them from?

©®@$ђ 22:35 23 Oct 03

sorry i ment to say

the spdif connection on the back of the cd rw should have the lead running to the same type of connection on the sound card (the spdif),but not all sound cards have the spdif connection,but all new cd rw drives do, and most sound cards, you can see a picture of the type of lead needed

click here

©®@$ђ 22:38 23 Oct 03

click here for CD Audio Splitter Cable 0.65m

JEFoord 22:38 23 Oct 03

i have got that connection on my cd rw but i have no sound card. sound is internal on motherborad.

©®@$ђ 22:43 23 Oct 03

if you havn't got that spdif connection on the motherboard then the only option is to get the splitter like AubreyS suggested

JEFoord 22:46 23 Oct 03

ok thanks for your help.
one last thing.
if i cant hear the sound from the cd rw but i can from the dvd rom, is there any reason why i couldn't copy from dvd to cd drive. cos surely it will still record sound even if i cant hear it.
if so, i could play all my sound through dvd rom and not worry about cd rw.

Djohn 22:46 23 Oct 03

If both drives are being used with an 80 strand IDE cable and "spdif" enabled, then sound will come from both drives via the IDE cable, [I think]. That's the way mine are set-up, no audio lead being used on either drive. and both drives will send sound to my speakers, or headphones. j.

woodchip 22:49 23 Oct 03

You can make your own splitter. That's what I did got two cables for drives cut one plug from one wire at sound card end and joined them colour to colour with solder and insulation. Work's perfect

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…