How can I get rid of the Yahoo toolbar?

Florio 16:36 12 Apr 08

I cannot get rid of the Yahoo Toolbar with Popup. I have Vista Premium and IE7 (Italian versions). When I click on the pencil button on the toolbar itself, I'm not given the option of uninstalling. When I try to remove the program via the Control Panel, nothing happens. The first time I tried to remove it, I got a confusing message from my Comodo firewall Pro 3.0; perhaps I unwittingly prevented the uninstallation process from taking place, but I've no idea what to look for here to put things right. I've tried to do a system restore, but this was also unsuccessful (I'm also having problems with system restore, but one thing at at time!!!)
Florio

Sea Urchin 16:42 12 Apr 08

Any help?

click here

Florio 17:39 12 Apr 08

Thanks Sea Urchin.
The instructions given on the Microsoft site don't really work, because when I click on the pencil button I'm not given the option of removing the toolbar.
I found another post on this forum that addressed the same problem and, following the advice given(namely to use a program called Revo Uninstaller), seem to have got rid of the program; there is no longer any trace of the Yahoo toolbar, at least amongst the files. But the toolbar itself is still present when I open IE7. Any ideas?
Florio

awest3 17:43 12 Apr 08

if you go to views, toolbars and un tick the yahoo one it should disappear.

Al

Florio 18:10 12 Apr 08

Yes, but it will only be hidden, and still present on my computer!!
I have now managed to make an uninstall button appear when I click on the toolbar itself, and I get a message from Yahoo asking for confirmation that I want to get rid of their toolbar. I click on yes, but the toolbar is still there, even after rebooting. Where should I go from here?
Florio

Sea Urchin 18:14 12 Apr 08

I guess it will not go because you have managed to remove the program. In these cases it's very often easiest to reinstall the toolbar, and then try clicking on the toolbar again to remove it.

dogbreath1 18:15 12 Apr 08

Even more reason for everyone to be careful when installing the regular CrapCleaner updates, all of which have 'Install Yahoo Toolbar' checked by default.

Sea Urchin 00:24 13 Apr 08

You can try disabling or removing it as follows. In IE7 you can look at "Downloaded Program Files" through the Tools->Internet Options->Settings(under Browsing History)->View Objects. This shows the ActiveX controls that IE 7 uses. If the toolbar entry is there you can right click it and remove.

Also are you sure you uninstalled ALL the "Yahoo Toolbar" entries from the Add/Remove Programs list?

Sea Urchin 00:28 13 Apr 08

Also another possibility - IE7 Tools > Manage Add-Ons > Enable or Disable Add-Ons and try to disable from there.

Florio 07:00 13 Apr 08

Finally got rid of the darned thing: turns out that I couldn't uninstall it via the uninstall option on the toolbar itself because I wasn't logged in to Yahoo (!!).
Now if I go to view, tools, the Yahoo toolbar is still listed but is not lit up, and therefore not available.
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions,
Florio

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…