How can I get rid of this login screen? (XP Pro)

Bling Bling 20:48 08 Aug 05

Hi everyone,

I've got my computer set up to log straight into my user account when I start Windows (XP Pro).

I used to be able to leave my computer alone for hours and when I came back to it, i'd still be at my desktop. Over the last couple of days though, whenever I leave my computer unattended for a few minutes, I find that I get a login screen that makes me enter my password.

I'm not sure what I've done to make this thing appear, but how can I stop it turning up?

Joe R 20:57 08 Aug 05

Bling Bling,

click on run, and type in control userpasswords2, and hit the enter button, from the box that appears, untick, users must enter a name and password to use this computer.

watchful 20:57 08 Aug 05

Start/Control Panel/User accounts/Welcome screen.

soy 21:09 08 Aug 05

or;

Right click desktop> Properties> Screensaver> Uncheck 'on resume, Display Welcome Screen'

Bling Bling 11:32 10 Aug 05

Thanks for all the help. I followed Joe R's advice and it's all sorted out now. The box was already unticked, but I ticked it and then unticked it again, clicked 'apply' and then got a box asking what account to log into automatically. It's been fine since.

Strangely, I dont seem to have any buttons/settings for 'welcome screen' in User Accounts or on the Screensaver tab. Could it be because I'm running Windows in Classic Mode? A bit odd, but at my problem has been resolved so i'm not complaining!

watchful 13:26 10 Aug 05

I use the Category View but it's still there in Classic View. It's under the third option - 'change the way users log on and off.'

watchful 13:27 10 Aug 05

By the way, glad you got it sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…