How can I format a dell laptop

Mad Mick 11:40 29 Apr 06

I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop and I am trying to format the hard drive. The System restore disk seems to put another Windows XP over the top of the existing one. I would like to format the drive and reinstall Windows. How do I create a dos boot CD.

johnnyrocker 11:43 29 Apr 06

can you not do this from disk manager? right click my computer and choose.

Mad Mick 11:50 29 Apr 06

Johnnyrocker. Where is disk manager

johnnyrocker 11:55 29 Apr 06

right click my computer and select manage.

ed-0 11:55 29 Apr 06

You cannot format the system hard drive "C" from with in windows " disk management". It is impossible.

Mad Mick 11:56 29 Apr 06

Sorry johnnyrocker didn't read your post correctly. The create an MS dos start up disk is greyed out. This may be because the laptop does not have an A drive. It has a CDrw drive and USB slots

rawprawn 11:56 29 Apr 06
  Mad Mick 12:00 29 Apr 06

ed-0 I am quickly coming to that conclusion but can't get a dos promt to format it in dos. There used to be an F key combination that would let you boot into a dos screen at start up but I can't remember it.

Mad Mick 12:02 29 Apr 06

Just taking she who must be obeyed out shopping. Will check in later. Thanks to all who have helped so far.

ed-0 13:47 29 Apr 06

" 1. Power the computer on.
2. When the Dell screen appears press and hold the <Ctrl> key on the keyboard, press the <F11> key, then release them both at the same time.
The Dell PC Restore by Symantec window appears. "

from click here

Hopefully that should get rid of both installations.;-)

Mad Mick 16:04 29 Apr 06

Thanks ed-0, I will try that. I may be offline for some time whilst I load everything on again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…